Question North fork composites

Anybody ever ordered blanks from them? Just seen where they had 65 percent off and no shipping. Anybody know anything about their blanks good bad or otherwise?

2. Member
    I've gotten a bunch from them over the past few years. Blanks are very good, IMO the IM are the best combo of sensitivity and durability. Just be prepared to wait for them. Last shipment took just under 3 mos to receive.

3. Member
    I ordered a couple from them during the 65% off sale. It said 2-3 week delivery, we’ll see.

4. Member
    I ordered an MB 736 HM X ray blank on Nov 11th and received it on Nov 17th. After receiving the blank I ordered another of the exact same blanks, thinking I ordered the second one on the 20th or there abouts, and have yet to receive an e mail that is has shipped.

As I am in Northeast Ohio and in no hurry to complete either build, I am ok with it if it takes the 2 - 3 weeks for delivery. 3 months? that would drive me more than a bit crazy. As far as the X ray blank I got goes ......... it's nuts how good it is. Wasn't a fan of the texture though, so I lightly sanded the entire blank. Very happy I did.

5. Member
    The last batch was the longest it has taken. It could very well have been the fact that it was when the xray blanks first came out and they had either a limited supply or didn't even have some of them made. That being said I think the quickest I ever got them was 3 weeks. I like the blanks very much (IM, HM and xray) but it's hard to plan a build for someone with one of them when you have a big and sometimes really long lead time.

It sounds like they are changing their model a bit and are definitely bringing their prices down to earth. It was hard to justify the list price they used to have when you could get other very high quality blanks (Croix SCV for instance) for literally half the price.

I received a MB 7107 X Ray in about a week after ordering it. My first order with them took MUCH longer. They've got ice rod blanks listed, but apparently none in stock. Those are the ones I've seen take months...

If the prices stay like this, I'll be buying a bunch more. Absolutely unreal blank for that price, though the rough texture is a bit annoying when it comes to wiping off china marker. I can handle that, though!

I built a drop shot rod on an SJ 762 IM (I think that was the model). I don't have a ton of really high end rods, but with carbon fiber grips and an aluminum reel seat it's easily the most sensitive rod I own. I had a lot more into that IM blank than I have into this X-Ray blank though, and of course the X-Ray is supposed to be the best of the best.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Member
    I built a drop shot rod on a DS6107 IM blank, and am in the process of a build on a MB736 X ray blank. The drop shot rod is very sensitive, but there is no comparison to the X ray blank. It's in a different solar system.

And I sanded the entire blank of my X ray blank (I have another one coming that I will be sanding as well) and I am extremely happy that I did. If it changed the blank at all I certainly can't tell. If anyone is familiar with the Hydra NG series blanks, that's how my X ray feels after sanding it. Like the Hydra NG blanks, it's smooth to the touch, but not in the league of a fully sanded and buffed blank, like those of the NFC IM blanks.

That's good to know. How'd you sand it? Get it chucked up in a drill somehow, or just by hand? Seems like it'd be very time consuming if done by hand. I'm guessing you'd want to sand "around" the blank instead of "along" it? What grit did you use?

I'm kind of waffling on the texture. I don't really like it, but I don't really dislike it either aside from the China marker thing I mentioned. Maybe it would make placing guides easier, though I could see it making wrapping them a bit harder as well as thread gets into the grooves and wants to lay on itself.

I haven't built the X-ray yet, but I agree 100% on it being from another solar system. I really wish they would've had the X-ray available (and at this price of course) when I ordered the IM. They have the same SJ model in X-Ray blanks now. I might well build myself another on an X-Ray and sell the first one.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

9. Member
    I chucked mine up in my power wrapper. I used 320, and 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper, and sanded it dry. It didn't take long at all, maybe 1/2 hour, tops. Not sure how fast I was turning it, 200 - 300 RPM I suppose. I finished it with a very light buffing using a gray 3M pad.

10. Member
    Drew, just use size D thread. I actually kind of like the grooved finish

I'm not sure I own any size D thread...

Thanks for the info though. Apologies for derailing if I have done so!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

12. Member
    Could someone explain the break down on the nfc blanks.Been on their site and never owned a classic GLoomis rod so how the have their blanks listed is confusing. I plan to build some rods and would like any info on these blanks.

I see the xray is the top of the line: MB 736-1(X-ray lmx) is one I picked out for future build. I see on the drop down it’s 87” so is the first two numbers the rod length?

what is the pecking order of the blanks X-ray being the best.

HM,SM and IM is that High module,intermediate???

last question all rods ( Delta, Bass , classic etc...) have mb,sa,si,st,mb,p,sb etc... need explanation on these.

I am sure these are all stupid questions but would like to better understand the system. And the blanks I order will not be built until I get a few basic rods completed. I built a few rods about 30 + yrs ago and would like to get back into it.

I have called NFC several times only get voice mail, e mailed them and received a response apologizing for not answering the phone explained they were very busy and would have a sales rep call me no call as of yet and I understand.

Thank you and did not mean to jump in on the thread.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 20ibassin View Post
    Could someone explain the break down on the nfc blanks.Been on their site and never owned a classic GLoomis rod so how the have their blanks listed is confusing. I plan to build some rods and would like any info on these blanks.

I see the xray is the top of the line: MB 736-1(X-ray lmx) is one I picked out for future build. I see on the drop down it’s 87” so is the first two numbers the rod length?

what is the pecking order of the blanks X-ray being the best.

HM,SM and IM is that High module,intermediate???

last question all rods ( Delta, Bass , classic etc...) have mb,sa,si,st,mb,p,sb etc... need explanation on these.

I am sure these are all stupid questions but would like to better understand the system. And the blanks I order will not be built until I get a few basic rods completed. I built a few rods about 30 + yrs ago and would like to get back into it.

I have called NFC several times only get voice mail, e mailed them and received a response apologizing for not answering the phone explained they were very busy and would have a sales rep call me no call as of yet and I understand.

Thank you and did not mean to jump in on the thread.
    If you've got some time and can get through, call NFC and ask for Steve Pitcock. I know sometimes it's hard to get through to anyone there. He knows the blanks and in my experience has always been more than happy to talk about them and give recommendations for techniques.

- the first two numbers are the length, 3rd number is the power and the -1 means 1 piece
    - HM, IM and SM is the modulus which roughly translates to sensitivity (in order from most to least), that being said HM is most definitely not the best blank for all applications and that's not saying that IM and SM aren't sensitive. IMO IM is the best all around. Higher modulus is generally more sensitive, a touch stiffer and more brittle.
    - Delta, classic etc are just different lines. I don't know the specifics of each, that'd best be answered by them.

I don't know that Xray is necessarily "better" than any of the HM or IM blanks, just different. Another thing to keep in mind is that I've found that NFC powers are a little difficult to translate into the "typical" categories (1-L, 2-ML, 3-M, 4-MH, 5-H) so it's best to go by lure weight ratings. Like that MB 736 you listed is rated for 1/4 to 3/4 oz so while it's their 6 power in that line it's more like a M/MH.

14. Member
    Sanding the Xray blank is for cosmetics only?