ETEc won’t enter Winterization Mode

I have a 2016 etec 150HO. I apologize for not having the model number handy. I previously had a 99 FICT on my boat but repowered with the ETEC. I have the original throttle arm and a hot foot.

A few few years back I was able to get the motor to run the winterization cycle after following the instructions but for my most recent attempt on Saturday, I couldn’t get the procedure to begin. The last time I ran the procedure, I did not have a hot foot if that means anything.

I live iin Southeast Texas - is there a need to worry if I was unable to get the motor winterized? Here our winters are fairly mild and last for about 10 weeks.

Thanks

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    If you do a YouTube search, you should be able to find instructions using the hotfoot. I’ve always had a hotfoot on my E-tecs (since 2008) and never had a problem winterizing, but the procedure is slightly different with a foot versus a hand throttle. To answer your second question, fogging the engine should be no big deal in Texas. The goal of fogging is not directly aimed at cold temperatures, but at internal engine condensation resulting from extreme changes from cold to warm. More oil internally equals more protection from corrosion. Here in northern Ohio, we have swings from 20 degrees overnight, with frozen ground, to 60 or above during the day, and that means condensation. If you have little of that kind of swing, I wouldn’t worry if I were you. But not hard to fog with a hot foot. You just need to learn the procedure. I had it written down, but now that I have a G2, which fogs itself at the touch of a button, I don’t want my poor memory to lead you astray. You could always call a dealer and ask....
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Most of the time the cause is from not opening the throttle far enough. Mash the hotfoot to the floor before starting and follow the directions to the letter. Do not improvise. If the motor shuts off by itself after a few minutes, then you know it worked.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

4. Member
    It appears that could be the issue- I didn’t have the hot foot to the floor. I’ll try that

5. Member
    I don't have a hot foot but my 150HO took me a few tries to get it to winterize. Turns out i wasn't turning the key on fast enough, the motor was starting before entering the mode.

When it does kick in you'll know as the gauge light will all be on and flashing!

6. Member
    i had issue this year. my 2nd year having this motor. i wasnt pushing the hotfoot down enough on first step. that solved the problem. if on 3rd step the rpms shoot up still didnt push down nough on first step
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns