2002 200 HP Motor bogs down on takeoff

2002 200L carb Mercury ! serial OT513797 on a 2002 896 Nitro Boat with a 24 Tempest Plus prop . Motor bogs down if I idle at 6 mph for more than a few min . Also on take off will bog down but if I throw into reverse and get rpm's to 3000 and then go into full throttle forward will run fine ? I have changed plugs in last 20 hours of use and regularly use sea foam at every fill up ! Have had the idle issue for awhile but take off problem is new ! Has anyone had this problem and what do I need to check ?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Any changes to the boat whatsoever (added powerpoles, changed batteries, moved anything, changed trolling motor, prop changed or worked, etc)?

Check the BASICS: Compression, Spark and Fuel (also check to make sure trigger is advancing properly and not lagging behind).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    have added power poles but no changes recently ! This has been getting worse for about a year. It happens most of the time after I have run to a spot to fish and then go to take off ! Will recheck the basics and the trigger advance and get back to you after the holidays !
    Merry Christmas and Thanks for responding

4. Member
    You squeezing primer bulb before every start?

Have you replaced fuel lines and primer bulb recently?

Just some simple things to check..
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

5. Member
    I have not replaced but it holds pressure all daylong when out on the Lake !

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Um... primer bulbs don't hold pressure once you start the engine (the line comes under suction or vacuum as the fuel pump begins to draw fuel through the line).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor