225 opti lower unit leaking oil

I have gear oil leaking from the water intake holes on my lower unit, which I'm sure isn't good news. Then when unscrewed drain plug water came out before any oil. Temps have gotten below freezing a few days also, just FYI. I guess my question would be what kind of damage could I expect? Just seals or could it be worse? I couldn't see any physical damage. Thanks for response in adavance

2. Member
    And just to clarify the oil is coming out of one of the 4 holes on the nose cone, and it milky green

3. Member
    Lower unit will need pressure tested. There is a chance the housing is damaged due to freezing with water inside.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please review the Forum Announcements and provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor