Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Need a little guidance on a older, used boat......

Ive been looking for a used boat going on 7 months now. I have tried reading everything I could on this site and others, but mostly this one on what to look for. In my reading I have read more than one horror story over wood in a transom. In my area the majority of boats that I have looked at, kicked, touched etc have been 90 model Rangers, Stratos, Javelin and an occasional Bumblebee. My price range has been right at 5-6000, because well, my wife said so lol Im 52 and been married 28 years so the woman knows me. Later if this boating thing sticks, when I retire. I will upgrade..I had a aluminum small jon boat years ago, but its not what Im looking for now.

My question is however, am I passing up on alot of good or great boats just because they have wood in the transom? Ive stuck with 88-98/99 Rangers, 98/99 and up Stratos and Javelins. Havent seen a Bee above 98 yet....

Should I be limiting myself just because of the wood?

Thanks for any response. This is a most awesome site to learn on.
    Thanks Randy

2. Member
    Unless you plan on fishing very small lakes where maybe the HP you buy is 60HP or less, I would never get wood. Never! I would rather buy all fiberglass where I had to work on the boat a bit. Meaning, some simple maintenance. Best of luck with the purchase.

3. Member
    I dont understand. You will not buy a boat with a wood transom? If so then you are very limited. Just because boat has wood transom doesn't mean its not structurally sound. Is pretty simple to tell if transom is bad. $5000 would buy a nice boat this time of year. May be not a 520c with a pro xs 250 but a very good champion with a efi 150
    1994 SWIFT boat 200-SDX
    1999 Mercury EFI 150

I have owned several boats. Ony one that had a structural problem was an all composite construction by a major manufacturer. Nothing wrong with a boat with wood if it has not been neglected.

5. Member
    That is what I’m finding. From summer to now here in middle Tennessee the same boats I thought were out of my price range are now well inside it. From then I was looking at smaller boats but now even larger boats are now in my price range. What I don’t know, in the 90’s what were The better motors. There appear to be a lot of Johnson Fast strikes around here. Anything else as good or better? Carb vs FI. ? Thanks !

6. Banned
    Any motor except for a Ficht! When looking at transoms, use some common sense. If there’s any brown streaks or gouges in the gel coat, go ahead and assume the worst. Take a rubber mallet and tap around the jackplate & tie downs, those are the areas that would be rotten.

Intruders and Faststrikes are real good engines. They are not modern, fuel and electronic injection like today's modern engines. But they are bullet proof and fairly simple to maintain/fix when something is a miss. Wood in transom is OK if boat is maintained well. I own a 25 year old Champion with a wooden transom. A little bit of silicon to reseal the back end up every couple years is all she needs to keep it rock solid bone dry...be patient, find a good one. Don't settle for a project.
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

Quote Originally Posted by Southernfried View Post
    That is what I’m finding. From summer to now here in middle Tennessee the same boats I thought were out of my price range are now well inside it. From then I was looking at smaller boats but now even larger boats are now in my price range. What I don’t know, in the 90’s what were The better motors. There appear to be a lot of Johnson Fast strikes around here. Anything else as good or better? Carb vs FI. ? Thanks !
    You are coming into buying season and people looking to upgrade will deal on their current boat. I am a Merc guy, but have had OMC and can not say anything bad about them. Carbs are simple and reliable, but you will pay at the pump. I would stay away from the early DFI's and would prefer to see a EFI in that time frame. grout-scout is on track with the transom check, but I prefer a small wood mallet. Tap all over the transom and if it goes from a thunk to a thud you may have found a problem. Lots of really good older boats out there.

My 94 Stratos has a wood transom. Last winter I took the motor and trim piece off to re-seal everything. The ply wood looked brand new, solid with no rot what-so-ever. I sealed everything up with epoxy and 3m 4200 and she'll be good to go for another couple of decades. Wood is not bad, it is strong, and if kept dry will last as long as the boat. Wet wood, however, is a problem, as it can delaminate and even rot. I had a nice Skeeter that I had to take to the dump because it had mulch for a transom. I was new to boating when I bought the Skeeter and did not know what to look for, and someone got one over on me. I ran it for about 5 years with a basically hollow transom. Point is, there are so good ones, and plenty of bad ones. Just make sure you check the wood and ensure it's not rotten or wet before you purchase. Good luck with your search!
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

10. Member
    The wood wouldn't bother me as much as there are a couple of brands that have a lot of transom issues , look through the different boat boards, and the restoration page do some searches on transom issues and maybe you will see a pattern . I wouldn't be afraid to buy any popular model ranger as you normally can get your money back anytime you want.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Any motor except for a Ficht! When looking at transoms, use some common sense. If there’s any brown streaks or gouges in the gel coat, go ahead and assume the worst. Take a rubber mallet and tap around the jackplate & tie downs, those are the areas that would be rotten.

if the ficht still runs good, it must be a good one like mine!! there are many fichts still fishing tournaments weekly around here!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dlewis10 View Post
    Intruders and Faststrikes are real good engines. They are not modern, fuel and electronic injection like today's modern engines. But they are bullet proof and fairly simple to maintain/fix when something is a miss. Wood in transom is OK if boat is maintained well. I own a 25 year old Champion with a wooden transom. A little bit of silicon to reseal the back end up every couple years is all she needs to keep it rock solid bone dry...be patient, find a good one. Don't settle for a project.
    Thanks I have a buddy I work with used to be at Triton here, and in fact was on the build of the very first Triton. I have been taking him with me when I go and look. Just helps to have someone that knows the insides of a boat. The one thing he keeps making me walk on, is "ya dont want a project, youll spend more time working than fishing " lol that and to be patient.....that has been the hardest part lol

13. Member
    Thanks, I have notice people look a little funny when I bring my little mallet, but I have waited too long in my life to get a bass boat and I dont want to take a chance. I tap around the transom but I never thought about the tie downs. Thanks for that.....I have noticed the guys with the older Rangers, seem to be more take care of. Didnt think they were that much higher than the other brands but they must have been, they just seem in better shape. But I do feel better about opening up and looking at some of the older Stratos, Javelin, BassCat etc with wood.....What Im having a hard time with is finding specs on the older boats, I want a wide fishing deck up front and its just hard to compare with out breaking out my measuring tape lol I have my own personal reasons for wanting a wide front deck but its something I need. Thanks again for all the help

Quote Originally Posted by Southernfried View Post
    Thanks, I have notice people look a little funny when I bring my little mallet, but I have waited too long in my life to get a bass boat and I dont want to take a chance. I tap around the transom but I never thought about the tie downs. Thanks for that.....I have noticed the guys with the older Rangers, seem to be more take care of. Didnt think they were that much higher than the other brands but they must have been, they just seem in better shape. But I do feel better about opening up and looking at some of the older Stratos, Javelin, BassCat etc with wood.....What Im having a hard time with is finding specs on the older boats, I want a wide fishing deck up front and its just hard to compare with out breaking out my measuring tape lol I have my own personal reasons for wanting a wide front deck but its something I need. Thanks again for all the help
    Just some info...most of the older early/mid 90's Champs have a skinny bow...made them one of the best riding hulls. But you do compromise quite a bit of square footage on the front deck
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    if the ficht still runs good, it must be a good one like mine!! there are many fichts still fishing tournaments weekly around here!

Maybe so, but in many places mechanics won’t even touch them. Easier just to avoid it from the get go. (Well at least in my opinion)

16. Member
    Maybe so, but in many places mechanics won’t even touch them. Easier just to avoid it from the get go. (Well at least in my opinion)
    Ive looked around and cant find an answer. How do you tell between carb and ficht just by looking at the cowl of the motor or can you? I see alot of cowls that are just painted black now or the stickers are gone. Thanks

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dlewis10 View Post
    Just some info...most of the older early/mid 90's Champs have a skinny bow...made them one of the best riding hulls. But you do compromise quite a bit of square footage on the front deck
    Thanks, due to an illness I had last year, I am lets say alot clumsier than before. lol Guess Im lucky in a way but still I need all the room I can get so I dont trip and fall in the water hahaha, Guillain Barre is pretty rare, but I turned out better than some, but due to my age, some affects will never go away.

18. Banned
    Wood is not a issue as long as the boat has been taken care of. Tap on the transom you can hear the difference if their is a rotted spot and look for brown water stains. The big deal in a used boat the motor. Look till you find the ride you and are comfortable in then have the motor checked out by a repeatable dealership. I bought a 89 Ranger with 89 150 Evinrude as a temp boat till I bought new but have decided I may just repower instead really liking this old boat.

19. Member
    Before you buy a boat have a marine appraisal done to have both the engine and structural integrity checked out . This will involve drilling a small hole into the transom from the bilge side to see if the plywood is wet . If so if it's not rotten now it will be . This will you a lot of money and grief in the long run .

20. Member
    Nothing wrong with a wood boat. Do your due diligence as you have been. Wood is a issue after it has been wet and rotted. One thing to look for is how well the rear of the boat has been sealed and hopefully resealed. I ran a 95 champ for 5 years bought it in 2010. Never a issue. I had to change a through hull fitting for a live well pump and found the wood was Bone dry and solid. As info as well I believe ranger went all composite in 89 or 90 and you can verify that on the ranger board page here. Also there are many boats on out there that have had transom failures that are all composite. A wet transom even if composite and glass can delaminate just like wood can rot.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast