Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I’m in a fix, I have what is a mint 374v I bought new in 1993. I just changed water pump for first time after 25 years!All original except couple so sonars and Ultrex. I fish a ton of tournaments.
    BUT I want a Ranger RT 198 so bad. But two things, how much to sell 374 for and Ranger is like a kid to me.
    My son just bought an RT 198 and it is so far a great buy. He had a Z520 new, but this aluminum rig is just better and easy to handle.

2. Member
    I would also suggest looking for a Ranger 400 series boat. Some of the best boats of that time and many regard them as one of the best hulls Ranger ever made. I bought the 487Vs in my signature last year in June just over the lower end of your budget. It did take me awhile to find it and needed some upgrading (which a majority of the boats of this era seem like they do). I would imagine you could find a 400 series easier than I could and maybe a little cheaper and your in a better area than I am looking for bass boats
    1995 Ranger 487VS / 1998 Mercury 200 EFI

3. Member
    Water pump lasted 25 years.....wow...
    1994 SWIFT boat 200-SDX
    1999 Mercury EFI 150

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassin_man View Post
    I would also suggest looking for a Ranger 400 series boat. Some of the best boats of that time and many regard them as one of the best hulls Ranger ever made. I bought the 487Vs in my signature last year in June just over the lower end of your budget. It did take me awhile to find it and needed some upgrading (which a majority of the boats of this era seem like they do). I would imagine you could find a 400 series easier than I could and maybe a little cheaper and your in a better area than I am looking for bass boats
    I have a found a 90 481v with a 150 Johnson GT, about 30 miles from our house. Going to try an look at it one day this week. I can tell from the photos it needs new carpet, updated electronics. But the gel coat in the photos appears ok. Right now I have them at 4500, but there is also a 92 Javelin 389T for 3800 in driving distance. With the same Johnson GT 150. Also a 92 Stratos 285, 90 Stratos 275 with hydraulic jack plate, and a 90 Stratos 201 that just had the floors redone and new carpet installed. Guy says the transom was fine when they redid the floors.....plus a 2006 Bumble Bee 278 about 10 miles from my house.....all of these are under 5,000.......of all of them the Javelin has the best looking photos but no telling when they were taken lol Im on vacation all month so I have plenty of time, I have waited this long not going to rush it now lol plus Im still searching everyones input as well lol I do think the full deck in the Stratos/Javelin/Bumble bee appears to have more room than in the Ranger. I dont care about speed, I just want a good, safe, dependable boat that is 18-20 feet with a full deck to get me about 10 years to retirement lol.
    Last edited by Southernfried; 12-09-2018 at 08:13 PM.

5. Member
    I have read about when most boat companies went to a composite transom, but what about the flooring and decking? Specially in Stratos, Ranger, Bumble Bee, and Javelin seem to be what Ive ended up looking at around here. Along with an occasional basscat and cajun. Thanks!

6. Member
    How much wear do you all think is excessive on the hull? I looked at a 96 Javelin today that had the following wear on the hull and two "holes" on the edge of the gunnel where it hit a dock? IMG_1193.JPGIMG_1195.JPGIMG_1194.JPG The other "hole" is the same as the one in the photo in the white gel coat, except it is in the green gel coat about 8" away from this one where it bounced off a dock . I dont expect a 96 model to be without wear and tear, but how much is too much? Thanks for your opinions.

well my pictures suck, what did I do wrong? lol
    Last edited by Southernfried; 12-15-2018 at 10:37 PM.

7. #FRB
    That's pretty bad. I'd pass on that one. No telling how long that rash has been there and fiberglass can delaminate when exposed. Look for one where the owner never carelessly beached it and if they did beach it often make sure it has a keel guard.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    That's pretty bad. I'd pass on that one. No telling how long that rash has been there and fiberglass can delaminate when exposed. Look for one where the owner never carelessly beached it and if they did beach it often make sure it has a keel guard.
    still
    Thanks, that was kinda what I was thinking, the search continues. lol....still havent figured out why my photos didnt load right

9. Member
    I looked for over two years before I got my last one, but it's been pretty good for the 14 since.

If you find a 1999-2000 javelin or stratos it will be all composite. The javelin venom and renegade models were well built boats. Had a little venom 18 that was a great boat, other than slightly narrow in the front.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

11. Member
    Well I thought I had found one today, still dont know. It was a 90 Ranger 481, needs new carpet, seats redone, the hull, everything else was solid. Gel coat even looked good. Needs new electronics, and trolling motor was fine. Has a 2 bank charger on it, and 3 batteries. What I dont know about, It has a 90 Johnson GT 150. The previous owner, and I talked with him on the phone, use to be a boat mechanic. He removed the VRO when it went out and he had to rebuild the motor. In the process, he took the vro out, and installed an electric fuel pump. You still squeeze the bulb, but you dont choke it anymore. It appears this was done 2 years ago, and the motor is still fine. It was quite clean under the cowl. I just dont know if for my first big boat, I should go with something like this being done. OR has he made it more simplified ? Really need thoughts and opinions on it. I can buy the boat for a pretty good deal (3500) so that would let me repair or replace what I need to. (Needs new rub rail, new tires on trailer, new carpet, I would do the tires first lol ) appreciates yalls help. Ive been reading all night about removing the VRO and more confused than ever lol

Removing the VRO in these motors has been done by many people. The electronic fuel pump will serve you well as long as it was done correctly. The only drawback is you have to premix your oil with every fuel fill up. As long as your committed to premix at the pumps, your good. DON'T EVER FORGET TO ADD OIL when fueling up. It's a quick recipe for blowing the engine without the proper amount of oil.

For piece of mind, you can easily have a reputable service tech put the VRO back on for a couple hundred bucks (parts and labor). Although highly scrutinized, the VRO is a very reliable part.
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dlewis10 View Post
    Removing the VRO in these motors has been done by many people. The electronic fuel pump will serve you well as long as it was done correctly. The only drawback is you have to premix your oil with every fuel fill up. As long as your committed to premix at the pumps, your good. DON'T EVER FORGET TO ADD OIL when fueling up. It's a quick recipe for blowing the engine without the proper amount of oil.

For piece of mind, you can easily have a reputable service tech put the VRO back on for a couple hundred bucks (parts and labor). Although highly scrutinized, the VRO is a very reliable part.

Thats kind of what I was thinking, I know from reading, the early models had issues, but what really worried me, when I asked the guy where the oil tank was when I was looking at the batteries and all, he said its right there......I said bubba you dont have an oil tank, did ya take the oil injection off? He said let me call the guy I got it from, I have only had it out twice, that part scared me cause obviously he had not tried to put oil in it, and if he didnt buy it with two full tanks from the other fellow, then rut roh...........Thats when the mechanic on the phone told me everything he had done. It was a long list. I started thinking then I was over my head lol Im sure the motor is fine, the guy "sounded" like he knew exactly what he was doing. I just think for me and my first "big" boat, I need to keep it simple....pouring oil in a tank, filling up with gas seems simple lol Im a 52 year old rookie aint gonna lie lol

14. Member
    I have another one to look at this weekend if I can get of of Christmas stuff with the spousal unit, It is a 90 Stratos, 275v with an Evinrude XP 150. I know the guy, his son and my son were on the same college baseball team till his boy decided school wasnt for him lol It doesnt need carpet, seats, the hull and body all seem fine. He has had it serviced regularly, he told me on the phone power pack less than 1 year old, VRO pump & reed valves replaced 2 years ago, new kill switch, 3 bank on-board charger, all pumps & lights work, Hummingbird helix 5 with DI/GPS at console, Hummingbird 596 CHD DI/sonar at bow, OMC trolling motor works good. Tires on trailer one year old. Hydraulic jack plate. Cable steering works, but tight and needs replacing. No stress cracks, hull in great condition. Compression check done recently, even compression on all cylinders. Boat always kept covered. Only issues the tach sometimes switches off, thinks it is a loose wire. His only concern, the steering cables are starting to get stiffer. MY only issue is the wood in the transom. I was really wanting a 90's Ranger, in the 400 series, but this boat is also the same size. Except is doesn't have a full extended deck, but I can build that. It seems to be in the best condition, and least amount of issues of anything I have looked at. Except the 2006 Bumble Bee 278 FD with xr6, but it was a plain Jane boat. With nothing on it but it needs new carpet bad, and he hasnt came off his 6 grand price. Also it has a small deck on it. Only 6 feet 10" wide if I remember right. It even "sat" small. But it is a 2006....Thanks for everyone's help. What a process lol

15. Member
    Not sure what part of TN you are in but I have seen several really nice Stratos for sale recently, there is one in Shelbyville at an excellent price.

You seem to keep coming back to the issue of wood in the hull, and I think thats something like others have said should not make a difference. Even if it did have a wood transom and down the road needed a transom for some odd reason it is a pretty straightforward process in most boats to have a seacast or similar transom done. A year or so ago one of the family friends bought a really nice boat with a soft transom ( I believe it was a Javelin) for a song, spent a bit having an epoxy transom done and came out way ahead vs what he would have spent.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d walker View Post
    Not sure what part of TN you are in but I have seen several really nice Stratos for sale recently, there is one in Shelbyville at an excellent price.

You seem to keep coming back to the issue of wood in the hull, and I think thats something like others have said should not make a difference. Even if it did have a wood transom and down the road needed a transom for some odd reason it is a pretty straightforward process in most boats to have a seacast or similar transom done. A year or so ago one of the family friends bought a really nice boat with a soft transom ( I believe it was a Javelin) for a song, spent a bit having an epoxy transom done and came out way ahead vs what he would have spent.

You very well may be right. All ya see on the internet is bad bad bad things about wood, but hardly anything good lol Guess it is due to my limited knowledge I just dont know any better. There has to be thousands upon thousands of boats out there with wood in them that are just fine. If I knew more, understood more, then it may not even be an issue. I just saw it as a problem I could eliminate. I should think that way anyway I guess, some of the stuff I have looked at wasnt the best due to lack of care. I will look on facebook and craigslist for Shelbyville. I live in Portland about 4 miles from the KY line. Thanks again for all yalls help. I even thought about searching for boats just on the motor alone, from what Ive seen, in the models and price range Im looking at, Im pretty much buying the motor, any and all accessories, and the boat is free lol Is that a wrong mentality or am I even close to being right lol thanks again.

You are obviously doing your homework, and that's great. You seem to have a price point in mind whichs put yourself into a 20+ year old rig. No expert, but I would go for well cared for boat over wood transom anyday. A 20+ year old boat that has not been kept well WILL HAVE major issues soon after purchase. My Champion turned 25 years old this year. It's in very good shape, but will always need something. Spent about 2 thousand this year just to keep her running well, and looking good.
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

18. Member
    [QUOTE=dlewis10;9879363]You are obviously doing your homework, and that's great. You seem to have a price point in mind whichs put yourself into a 20+ year old rig. No expert, but I would go for well cared for boat over wood transom anyday. A 20+ year old boat that has not been kept well WILL HAVE major issues soon after purchase. My Champion turned 25 years old this year. It's in very good shape, but will always need something. Spent about 2 thousand this year just to keep her running well, and looking good.[/QUKindOTE]

Kind of where I am at. Im learning the exact thing now. Just cause it doesnt have wood in it, means that there are no issues. Looked at another Ranger and it was kept outside, under a ranger cover. I thought, ok thats fine, till we rolled the tarp back and there was water standing on top of the drain.....Thats when I thought, uh, I may be looking at this wrong lol But at least with the scratches in the one above, and Ive looked at about 6 now, I have a barometer to compare to. So I think its been a valuable learning.......and I bought me a nice tapping hammer too lol

I know someone who owned a Ranger, when we drilled the transom to install new transducer out came water through the hole, always wonder how much water was actually in the boat, I believe bottom line is how boat was taken care of, composite or not.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boatinpete View Post
    I know someone who owned a Ranger, when we drilled the transom to install new transducer out came water through the hole, always wonder how much water was actually in the boat, I believe bottom line is how boat was taken care of, composite or not.
    Thanks Im starting to learn that, I would have had a heart attack lol

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast