Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksubasser24 View Post
    Nothing wrong with a wood boat. Do your due diligence as you have been. Wood is a issue after it has been wet and rotted. One thing to look for is how well the rear of the boat has been sealed and hopefully resealed. I ran a 95 champ for 5 years bought it in 2010. Never a issue. I had to change a through hull fitting for a live well pump and found the wood was Bone dry and solid. As info as well I believe ranger went all composite in 89 or 90 and you can verify that on the ranger board page here. Also there are many boats on out there that have had transom failures that are all composite. A wet transom even if composite and glass can delaminate just like wood can rot.
    So true .....I have a 1988 Stratos 201 Pro i brought new .With out any problem at all. knock on wood .

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    So true .....I have a 1988 Stratos 201 Pro i brought new .With out any problem at all. knock on wood .
    LOL no pun intended huh.......glad you re-quoted this because I meant to ask.......in the comment "look how well the rear of the boat has been sealed an resealed".. exactly where is this? I am guess the top cap strip that many have had on them that run just in the straight area of the transom? Mostly where the motor sits, and where the rub rail starts and finishes? If so I do have a question..........specially on a stratos....when I am tapping with my hammer and it feels solid, sounds solid when I get to where the transom starts to curve, should this sound and feel the same way? On the javelin I looked at it felt solid all the way across. It was a 96, on the Ranger it felt the same but on the 90 Stratos when I tapped where the blue arrrows are below in the photo, it felt soft, like when you tap on the wall and miss a stud. Is that normal or should it "feel" just as solid all the way across the whole stern of the boat. Ive been meaning to ask this, cause on some they do, and some boats they dont?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Southernfried; 01-04-2019 at 10:13 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456