Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    if the ficht still runs good, it must be a good one like mine!! there are many fichts still fishing tournaments weekly around here!
    Ye, as a former Ficht owner they run great until they blow. It seems ALL outboards eventually blow up.
    The biggest reason not to buy even a good Ficht is they have almost no resale value, their reputation is tainted and will never recover.

2. Member
    Take a look at the the trailer the older boat is sitting on also, it could have rust damage. Good luck in your search!
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

3. Member
    by the time a bass boat price gets down to 5 to 6 k you better have some tools an free time to work on it.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    by the time a bass boat price gets down to 5 to 6 k you better have some tools an free time to work on it.
    Wouldn't hurt to know some repair skills either.

Be mindful of how long the motor sit unused. Ethanol is brutal on efi/carbs and hoses. Boat condition depends on what bothers you. New and shiney would be hard for me on bistineau with the stumps and trees scratching the boat up, red river with the rocks and stumps, but my 99 progator is just fine and I dont mind. A scratch is just a new battle scar. New electroics can be updated, same with trolling motor. I find plenty of fish with my single hds and my trolling motor doesnt know what gps or bluetooth is.

Bottom line, find a boat that is safe, will fit your fishing style and one that will help you enjoy fishing.
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

6. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    If memory serves, the first Champion with the beam-forward wider front deck was the 188. Not sure what date, but was while they were still being built in Mtn Home, so prior to 2010. Next was the 196. Others are the 183, 198 and 210, with the 200 and 202 later.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Wouldn't hurt to know some repair skills either.

General skills I got, expect to replace maybe seats, carpet, electronics, maybe trolling motor, tires, bearings, batteries etc. maybe even polishing on gel coat. What I dont want is to have a blown motor, stringer, knees or transom rot lol ....Again thanks for all the help. It seems my best choices, or rather the boat I have the most to choose from are Ranger, Javelin, Stratos and Nitro within 100 miles of me. All mid 90's to around 99. One question I do have, how do the early 90's Javelin 389 compare to the late 90's or R19's? Ive been reading alot about their drive ability etc. But anything inherent to that brand or Stratos to look out for?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    if the ficht still runs good, it must be a good one like mine!! there are many fichts still fishing tournaments weekly around here!
    Ditto...

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Look around for a Ranger 482 V with a 150/175 HP anything. That should be right up your alley.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Look around for a Ranger 482 V with a 150/175 HP anything. That should be right up your alley.
    Ok thanks !

You're in Stratos country, I see 90's models everywhere down there. Check out any of the 285 series built in the 90's, solid 18 1/2 footer that runs well and in your price range. They'll have a carb Johnson most likely and easy to work on.

12. Member
    You might look into a larger tin rig, you will get more bang for your buck.

13. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’d agree on the tin rig, but after seeing Championman’s comment I did a little reading and the 400 series Rangers are probably so,e of the most solid boats to ever come out of Flippin! I even found some old posts from DrewTech on here about his.

They’re THE classic looking Bass Boat and aren’t hard to find. Find one that is mechanically sound, put some time into it and have yourself a sweet Ranger!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

14. Member
    Thanks Im looking at everything yall are suggesting lol. Wearing out craigslist and facebook marketplace lol

15. #FRB
    Sounds like you have a good mentor to keep you from buying a project. However, if a hull is rock solid with a perfect motor but could use some major freshening up you might be able to get an $8000 boat for $6000. Just depends on how desperate the seller is. Would help to check the health of the gas in the tank too. As for telling the difference between a FICHT and a regular carb OMC motor or any DFI motor vs carb motor you just have to pull the cowling and see if there's carbs under there. I would hope you're pulling the cowling to take a peek already.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    You're in Stratos country, I see 90's models everywhere down there. Check out any of the 285 series built in the 90's, solid 18 1/2 footer that runs well and in your price range. They'll have a carb Johnson most likely and easy to work on.
    Right, after looking on Craigslist and facebook within 100 miles of me it appears the majority are Stratos, Ranger, Javelin....most are all in early to mid 90's with some in the 97-99 range.......what Im trying to see is what the difference in a 88-90 Ranger in the 300 or 400 series are compared to the Stratos/Javelin 97-99 years. That seems to be the comparable prices for one another. All between 3000-6000$. Thanks again for all yalls help.

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If you find one with either a 150-175 Intruder/Fast Strike you'll be fine with anything from a 1991-1996 being a carbed motor a 1997 and up OMC could be either a carbed or FICHT motor. To tell them apart the model number will tell you, if it reads J/E150GL or J/E175GL that is a carbed motor. The 482 V or Vs is a solid platform with a wide front deck. Most are dual console boats. Stratos/Javelin are great boats as well many of them will come with an Intruder/Fast Strike as they were part of the OMC boat group at the time.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    If you find one with either a 150-175 Intruder/Fast Strike you'll be fine with anything from a 1991-1996 being a carbed motor a 1997 and up OMC could be either a carbed or FICHT motor. To tell them apart the model number will tell you, if it reads J/E150GL or J/E175GL that is a carbed motor. The 482 V or Vs is a solid platform with a wide front deck. Most are dual console boats. Stratos/Javelin are great boats as well many of them will come with an Intruder/Fast Strike as they were part of the OMC boat group at the time.
    Thanks...........I know this may be a can of worms, but say a 1990 Ranger 481 with a carb Johnson GT150 vs a 1990 Stratos 201 with a Evinrude xp200, both with really no electronics, pretty much same condition. How do ya pick one over the other lol
    Last edited by Southernfried; 12-07-2018 at 06:17 PM.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Southernfried View Post
    Thanks...........I know this may be a can of worms, but say a 1990 Ranger 481 with a carb Johnson GT150 vs a 1990 Stratos 201 with a Evinrude xp200, both with really no electronics, pretty much same condition. How do ya pick one over the other lol

The one that passes the compression test and if willing to spend it, leakdown test.

20. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    And personal preference. The more you go look at boats and see how different they are in the daytime as compared to the 5 year old pictures will amaze you.

I know when I was looking it took only a few seconds before I knew if the boat was one I would consider or not. Lots of people just let them sit, uncovered and they deteriorate with no use or care.

Once you find a boat with they layoit you like and the engine that is mechanically sound...you will know. Cowlings can be painted, some hazing can be fixed, but you have to start with a solid base to build your dream boat around.

Yesterday on the lake I was speaking to a guy in a TR186 Triton, EFI Mercury 150 and a power pole...he picked it up after tap lady’s husband passed away and paid 7k for it. It was garage kept and looked new! Great find on his part even though the circumstances were bad for someone else.

Too bad we talked for 15 minutes and I pointed out where I lost a big fish the week before...he motored over to the exact spot and put his power pole down.....that’s ok, one bad apple won’t ruin the bunch for me.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast