‘07 225 wont shift out of neutral

The other morning I was launching the boat and once off the trailer I couldn’t get the engine out of reverse. Finally I was able to coast into the dock and I shut down the motor and each time I’d start it, it would automatically be in reverse. Finally it started and was in neutral and it wouldn’t get into forward or reverse. I’m trying to see if anyone has any insight on what may be wrong and how much I could expect to spend to fix it.

2. Member
    Either it is a broken shift cable or shift linkage or shift rod ! Have to look at it to determine which!

3. Member
    Sounds like the shift cable broke. If that’s the case it is not to bad in costs. I would change both cables if it did break.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Take the cable off at the motor and while spinning the prop with your foot (motor off of course), move the shift linkage between F-N-R that will eliminate anything in the lower unit. It does sound like it is in the control box if it starts in gear.

5. Member
    I had this happen to my friends boat after the professional shop replaced power head .
    Problem was the wire harness was not properly wire tied above the shift linkage on right side of the engine.
    It was a 5 min fix because one of the plastic connectors had drop down into the linkage and was blocking the cable from shifting the lever.
    Take a close look at the linkage and have a buddy shift the gear shift .
    We just had to re position the harness with wire tie.
    Problem fixed just look at it saved buddy a bunch of money.

6. Member
    I appreciate all the input guys