Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Question J90SLEOC still gives head aches

Hello Gents, I am trying to open a new thread as my old one was related to bring the engine back to life.....finally after like a year we were able to try it on the water and see if carbs needed adjustment, on the hose I always thought it was running too lean or high but anyways: we got to the ramp cranked it up and started but I could notice that it would die soon, I kept priming it until I have running for a minute or two, RPM were about 900-1000 at Idle, once we untied it from dock, the thing just died and it wouldn't start no more, like did not even have ignition, pulled out some tools and tried to see if there was spark but the sunlight kept me out of making a statement, checked all fuses and everything looked fine, the ramp was getting busier we did not want to disturb others with our ordeal...and after around an hour or so we called it, drove back home, trimmed the engine down and this viscous things started coming out of the exhaust

I let the engine rest for like an hour or so and then tried on the muffs and what d heck....runs again like always did....

could it be that the carbs are too rich and engine is getting flooded?.....why it runs on muffs and died on the water?

I appreciate any help
    Thank you guys!

2. Member
    Hi, to me it doesn't sound like it's running good on all cylinders, not "throaty". That would explain why it will run on the muffs but not in the water (exhaust back pressure). How do the plugs look? It doesn't look like it's smoking any at all. I guess you'll have to check it all out again, compression also. I hope you haven't lost a cylinder.

3. Member
    Thanks Jerry, I will check for the sparks arch jump again, compression and post later..appreciate it!

4. Member
    compression checked and got 110, 120,119 and 121(cyl 1,2,3,4) after engine was warmed up. then I found that cyl 3 not having spark or too weak...I can't believe I have a bad coil again, these two coils were installed brand new about a year ago when the engine was being overhauled....this engine never ran for more than 5 minutes at a time...I only ran it about twice a month to keep carbs flushed until the test on water...daylight is gone and could not continue troubleshooting further....will post tomorrow if time allows it..

Thank you guys...

spark

5. Member
    We have more trouble with packs than coils. Good deal on the compression.

6. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    If you are using CDI coils/parts you are wasting your money. I have had a box load fail over the past 2 or so years. Use OEM.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

7. Member
    Thank you OMC...I initially had a pair purchased from amazon and had to send them back...these ones I have now I got them from crowley and have good reviews...do you recommend any seller? I did not have time today to check any further for any powerpack issues but just in case
    Thanks

8. Member

9. Member
    A motor can sound like a million on the hose and not be running on all 4 in your case. It can also have a cylinder that is so lean that it's running but won't under a load. When you put a motor in the water there is now back pressure from the water covering the exhaust and that slows it down some too.
    Anyhow, you might care to look at the spark plugs and see if one or more look a lot different than the others.
    Some early Rudes had carb bowl issues due to warpage. Yo should check your fuel for purity and the proper 50:1 mix. If it has the automatic mix feature, those fail to the rich condition.
    That's what my memory tells me from decades ago when I ran carbureted Rudes.

10. Member
    Thanks for the link buddy, I do not think it is a power pack problem.......Today is very nice to be fishing in south florida we are in 65-70...unfortunately I am still fixing the engine..lol............anyways here is what a quick test found me...the top coil did not give enough juice to jump the 7/16 gap...swapped it with the bottom one and now the problem move to the bottom coil....faulty one....what bothers me is the fact the these two coils are new, only used twice a month for about 5 minutes of so......I will have to order a new one and perhaps while at it a new set of plug wires would not hurt....
    thanks

11. Member
    Good job on the trouble shooting. Check out boats.net for parts. How did the plugs look?

12. Member
    Thank you Jerry, I might take a closer pic tomorrow but here is how they looked like when I pulled them for the compression test...will check that site you recommended....appreciate it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Member
    Kind of hard to tell on new plugs, from what I can tell from this picture. Is the far right plug cleaner than the others?

14. Member
    Thank you Sr!...yes, far right was cleaner, same with another from the other side.....kind of that dual coil was acting up on its two assigned plugs.....already ordered the coils even though it's just one faulty now, I would like to have two new ones and keep one spare... this time the seller shows them with markings and the BRP OMC box...also I noticed the plug wires have some kind of rust/dirt inside caps....new ones are on their way as well...got'em from your recommended site.....let's see....I will keep posting here...now my vacations are over and again...need to wait for the next spare time for the water test...
    Thank you guys!!! I do really appreciate your inputs
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Member
    OEM parts are the way to go.

16. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Anything inside the caps that looks like rust/dirt has always meant something is arching to me. Have you had this engine fired up at night to see if she’s giving off a light show? How old are the plug wires?
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

17. Member
    Thank you Sr!...yes those wires are old, they came with the boat when I got it....my fault for not replacing them....new ones are on their way now...

appreciate your input!

18. Member
    Well got my Christmas present...new coils and wires, installed them and now it seems like the engine is idling even higher than before...I already tried finding if there is any leaks by spraying wd40 around hoses and gaskets joints and could not find anything......also, after I stopped the engine we found a lot a mixed fuel around the butterflies....is this a definitely proof of air leak and I am getting lean?...any other quick test I could do to help identify where it is coming from(leak)?
    Gents I do really appreciate any idea or input......except for selling the boat like the wife says.

carbsresized.jpg

19. Member

20. Member
    another pic of carbs after engine was turned off
    carbres2.jpg

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast