Trolling Motor Recomendations

I am in the market for an I-pilot equipped MK trolling motor. My biggest concern is "extras" that may be needed to mount my mega si transducer and 360. I currently have an old MG with the HB TM transducer mount and the TSS collar to mount the 360 with the fortrex/maxxium mount.

So my first inclination was to go with the terrova with i-pilot link. After reading up, it seemed necessary to get an aftermarket solution for both the transducer wiring and mounting the 360. This would negate any cost savings over the ultrex. Does the ultrex require the same? I know I will have to get a new mount for the 360, but anything else? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    89 Stratos 201 Pro DC
    200 Evinrude
    Helix 10 Mega SI
    Helix 7 G2N
    HB 360

The Ultrex is no different than any cable steer foot control bow trolling motor for transducer attachment. You run the transducer cable up the shaft and allow for the motor turning 360 degrees-- you do that at the bow guard instead of at a split shaft junction.

You certainly would need a trolling motor adapter for the MEGA SI transducer. There are two commercial choices:
    Humminbird AD MTM
    Transducer Shield and Saver TM-HX-3

The 360 would need the Ultrex 360 conversion kit which includes a longer shaft and bracket that attaches to the bow guard.

I replaced a Motor Guide Tour with an Ultrex this year "it ain't complicated".
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Ok, so you can run the transducer cable through the Ultrex without the need for a cable guard type installation. From what I understand, this is not the case with the Terrova or Ulterra, correct?

I have the trolling motor adapter for the MEGA SI transducer already. But man, that Ultrex adapter kit is pricey.......

"it ain't complicated", easy for you to say, I've about gone cross-eyed trying to decide what I would need for all the different I-pilot options. But I definitely appreciate the info. I just started posting here after lurking for a while and I know you are one of the most knowledgeable guys here on this stuff. So is the Ultrex the way to go? Its hard to pass up the self deploying option.
    89 Stratos 201 Pro DC
    200 Evinrude
    Helix 10 Mega SI
    Helix 7 G2N
    HB 360

Ok, so you can run the transducer cable through the Ultrex without the need for a cable guard type installation. From what I understand, this is not the case with the Terrova or Ulterra, correct?

this is correct the ultrex slack loop for turning is just higher up than on the standard foot controls tm, and correct terrova needs a management system to do this

The 360 adaptor can be made by any metal fab shop or a handy friend if they help you think it through
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    On the Terrova, as you have indicated, you would have to get some type of aftermarket way of keeping the transducer cable away from wrapping the steering module. The cable cannot run up the shaft. The older Terrovas, it didn't have the lift assist and you were able to run the cable through the steering module -- but not true on the ones with lift assist. On the Ultrex, the cable can come up the shaft just like on a regular foot controlled trolling motor. Some have even disconnected the trolling motor from the steering module and brought the cable up through the steering module on the Ultrex, but it's easier to stop short of the steering module and loop back to the cables coming off the the steering module. Either is going to have to have a trolling motor mount for the transducer. If you already have the 360, then you will need the Ultrex adapter that is sold from aftermarket companies, or the Ulterra aftermarket mount. If you don't have the 360, you can purchase one made for the Ultrex, but not the Ulterra. Hope this helps.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    So I ended up going with the Ulterra. Does any one know if you can use both a cable guard product and the cumberland crappie 360 mount. It looks like the mounting may utilize the same spots on the trolling motor. I know there are other options and am considering them. What I am trying to do is keep everything on the TM so I do not have to deploy multiple apparatuses.
    89 Stratos 201 Pro DC
    200 Evinrude
    Helix 10 Mega SI
    Helix 7 G2N
    HB 360