Poppet Valve Leaking Still!!

Ok, so i have this 1989 Mercury 200 XRI Serial #0C157845. I have replaced the water pump (impeller, gaskets, o rings, housing etc. and I just did a rebuild kit on the poppet valve ( everything in that too). I took it to the lake and the poppet is still leaking from the weep hole, not a lot though, but still a very little stream,. water pressure is 5 psi at idle and 20 at WOT. Ran good but still leaks.

Any ideas? I cleaned it out well, there isnt any debris in the cooling system. Has new thermostats, well so says the guy I bought it from, who is a Merc Tech. He said is normal to leak from the weep hole and I shouldn't worry about it??

Oh yea, it leaks from the minute I turn it on till I turn if off.

Thanks
    Eric

Last edited by Ebuck155; 12-02-2018 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Add info

2. Member
    How can water leaking inside the cowl be normal? Sounds like a hole in the diaphragm or bad gasket.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    How can water leaking inside the cowl be normal? Sounds like a hole in the diaphragm or bad gasket.
    Both brand new and inspected before install. Weep hole is for high pressure release.

4. Member
    i had one do the same thing,i had to take it back apart the plunger did not seat right,it was fine when i put it back together the second time

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    i had one do the same thing,i had to take it back apart the plunger did not seat right,it was fine when i put it back together the second time
    Hmmmmmm, I suppose I could try that, I was very careful assembling it. But you never know.

Thanks

6. Member
    i thought the same thing and as soon as i pulled it apart i was looking at it and it was not centered,i centered it perfect and put it back together and no problems

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check the center screw that holds the washer to the diaphram to the poppet valve. Must be fully seated/tight or water will weep through.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor