Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking to buy 1990 Champion 19'

I went and looked at a 1990 Champion 19' with a 200 Johnson. I really like the boat. I would like to know some more details about this boat, what model it is and if anybody has this particular year and model on the forums. how does it ride and how does it fish. I have read on here a guy named Pat can decipher the HID# Ill post some pics and maybe he can help me out. From what i looked at it looks very solid but shows some age. Transom and floor seems very solid but i seen some stress cracks in the gelcoat around the jack plate.(pics) I was bouncing on the motor and i seen 0 flex in the transom. Let me know what yall think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    The hull ID will not show a model. It simply shows where and when built...and the model year if different from the build year. (Model year changes in mid-summer). This boat was built in Mtn Home, AR in May of 1990 and is a 1990 year model.

I just checked my 1990 brochure. It does not show a 19' model. It shows a 184, rated for 175 hp and a 201 rated for "all V6s". So, either it is an under-powered 201 or an over-powered 184. With a prop in bad condition. Both have excellent rides.

I see a 19' in my next year brochure. Hmmmm....
    Last edited by Lea; 12-02-2018 at 05:21 PM.

3. Member
    I have read that some where also, That in 1990 Champion didnt make a 19' but i pulled a tape measure this morning from tip of bow to the back side of transom and it is 19' So unless there is another way to measure overall length they made one that was 19'(my son was holding the end at the bow pretty sure he was hr was right) I would like to know the model # is there any other ways to tell what it is? Also if this is a overpowered 184 will i have a problem getting it registered with NC wildlife?
    Yes prop is in bad shape. What do you think about the stress cracks?

4. Member
    I have a 1990 190 single console. The ride is phenomenal and it fishes very well with 2 people. 3 people it starts to get cramped.

5. Banned
    Look at the coast guard sticker and see what the boats motor rating is. Stress cracks don’t add anything positive to the boat, that’s for sure, just depends on wether they are letting water in the hull or not.

Post a picture of the entire hull or look for the HP rating plate in the hull. That rig is road hard and put away wet. They stress cracks appear normal. The brown streaks under the jack plate look iffy but I can't get a real good look from the pictures. The prop needs a referb. If you have the time and coin it can be saved, you're just taking a chance of chasing one problem after another. Your dime, your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman79 View Post
    I have read that some where also, That in 1990 Champion didnt make a 19' but i pulled a tape measure this morning from tip of bow to the back side of transom and it is 19' So unless there is another way to measure overall length they made one that was 19'(my son was holding the end at the bow pretty sure he was hr was right) I would like to know the model # is there any other ways to tell what it is? Also if this is a overpowered 184 will i have a problem getting it registered with NC wildlife?
    Yes prop is in bad shape. What do you think about the stress cracks?

7. Member
    I have a 1993 DCX with a 200 EFI- I must say it is in great condition/ I have owned a2 2000 190 with the gas tanks under the front seat and I hated them rode terrible and the hole shot was terrible/ my '93' has a much better hole shot, rides better fishes well with two people ( three not so welll).
    The previous owner of 29 years had installed hydraulic steering, changed out all of the gas lines and installed a HB 898 and 998, I have a brand new MG trolling motor so it is all set. I have owned it for three years and all i get is compliments from people around the ramp and on the lake/ one thing I am very happy with is the trailer is a channel trailer not a tube frame I owned 2 new 198's a new 200 and a new 203 and this rides extremely well in comparison the newer ones did not.

8. Member
    Pic of the boat. Im not sure when this was. This is the best i can do right now.

9. Member
    Best i could do now with the pic
    The brown line dont bother me too bad.This boat is on High Rock Lake in NC. Half of that lake stays really really muddy just about year round.

Quote Originally Posted by MMosher View Post
    Post a picture of the entire hull or look for the HP rating plate in the hull. That rig is road hard and put away wet. They stress cracks appear normal. The brown streaks under the jack plate look iffy but I can't get a real good look from the pictures. The prop needs a referb. If you have the time and coin it can be saved, you're just taking a chance of chasing one problem after another. Your dime, your time.

10. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    I do remember that several models of various years, were built after the brochures were published. This appears to be a good example of that situation. If this is the case, then the model is the 190. I cannot tell from the pic if it is a dual or single console???

11. Member
    Single console

Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    I do remember that several models of various years, were built after the brochures were published. This appears to be a good example of that situation. If this is the case, then the model is the 190. I cannot tell from the pic if it is a dual or single console???

12. Member
    I have a 1995 190 rides and fishes great and i measured from tip to transom and it measured 18'11". According to Iboats they did make a 190 in 1990 as it was a single console only...but Iboats has had some false info also.
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

13. Banned
    Either that guy is really tall or that boat is a bit on the shorter side.

14. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redman79 View Post
    Single console
    OK, then the model is the 190 SC.

15. Member
    I know the pics are not great but could yall throw me a couple numbers. Just a ball park value of the boat? That is a Raker P17 prop. I dont think that is the right pitch prop. But, assuming motor runs good. The steering is very tight. It needs to be replaced. I think the gel coat can be wet sanded and brought back to life. Seats will need upholstering. Carpet is about a 4 maybe 5 out of 10. Prolly needing some electrical work.
    TM is very dated. Trailer is in pretty good shape.

He is asking $5000 but is willing to move on the price told me to make a offer. I dont think it is worth that much. But that is just me. And i am wanting a Champion. I have a number in mind. But i dont wont to upset him or piss him off.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Either that guy is really tall or that boat is a bit on the shorter side.
    Yes he is pretty tall.

17. Pat Goff
    It could be a 190, there's a few running around with that year model. If I could see the console that would make it certain.
    You can't decipher the HID number by the number, it just says when it was built but not what it is.
    Now I'd be very careful with that hull, it's got some jacked up stuff hung on it, I hate morons that stick transducers on the right side of the hull, and some of those cracks are not where you want to see them.

A plastic handled screwdriver will tell you what you need to know, tapping on dry and good will have a nice tap sound, tap on wet and bad will sound thud.

I would not be a player for five grand.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    It could be a 190, there's a few running around with that year model. If I could see the console that would make it certain.
    You can't decipher the HID number by the number, it just says when it was built but not what it is.
    Now I'd be very careful with that hull, it's got some jacked up stuff hung on it, I hate morons that stick transducers on the right side of the hull, and some of those cracks are not where you want to see them.

A plastic handled screwdriver will tell you what you need to know, tapping on dry and good will have a nice tap sound, tap on wet and bad will sound thud.

I would not be a player for five grand.
    My phone wont let me post a pic. I dont know why. Ill post one of the console this evening when i get off work

19. Banned
    My thinking is not in the $5k range from what I’m seeing either. Those transom cracks are my concern though, I’d have a pro look at them to see if they are structural or cosmetic.

20. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Get some better pics of the top cap too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast