Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Pat Goff
    Looks like a 190 to me.
    Rating plate tells all. If it’s 200 it’s 19.

Not a huge fan of first gen 190 it’s real weight sensitive so that makes it a little tweaky to setup.

I’d be giving that hull a careful inspection it looks like it’s had a hard life. But if it’s just cosmetic stuff you have something to work with.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

3. Member
    Thank you and everybody that has commented. I guess i got some thinking to do. My plan is to talk to him and maybe take a ride this weekend. If motor pulls good i might make a offer of 2000 maybe move up to 2500.
    From what i was looking at here on the forums i think that motor and boat combo is supposed to have a 24p raker. If i was reading the setup page correct. With a 17 pitch prop it is way under propped. Am i correct? So being under propped what am i to expect out of this ride?

Nowhere near an expert, but a 17P prop on a 200HP Johnson will be a mess of a ride. RPM's should be through the roof...if thats all this motor can turn, something is seriously wrong...a 24P Raker should be a good starting prop for that motor.

And the pics of this rig resembles my 1993 190 quite a bit.
    Last edited by dlewis10; 12-03-2018 at 07:27 PM.
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Hard to tell from your pictures what the prop is but it looks like it may be a chewed up Raker. A good prop shop can clean that one up for you, as Dave said you'll be thru the roof with a 17 P on it.

6. Member

7. Member
    Talked to the owner again yesterday . He told me that is the prop that was on the boat when he purchased it. Also said that he very seldom runs it hard. Has done it just a couple times to clean it out was his exact words. He has owned it the last 12 years and hasnt done anything at all to the boat other than a new stator. He told me he has never even washed it. takes it out of the lake every time he fished in it. Never fished any tournaments he didnt like that style of fishing. It never has water in the hull after fishing.only time it gets water in it is when it rains, he said it will hold water around the console. (I bounced on the floor it seemed solid to me)He has a lake house pulls it out and stores it under a metal carport.
    Tell me if im wrong but if he has always ran that prop seems to me that the motor turning high rpms all the time probably wasnt to good for it.

8. Member
    Only reason he is selling it because he wants a bay boat to take to the beach and he can fish out of his bay boat on the lake also.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman79 View Post
    Talked to the owner again yesterday . He told me that is the prop that was on the boat when he purchased it. Also said that he very seldom runs it hard. Has done it just a couple times to clean it out was his exact words. He has owned it the last 12 years and hasnt done anything at all to the boat other than a new stator. He told me he has never even washed it. takes it out of the lake every time he fished in it. Never fished any tournaments he didnt like that style of fishing. It never has water in the hull after fishing.only time it gets water in it is when it rains, he said it will hold water around the console. (I bounced on the floor it seemed solid to me)He has a lake house pulls it out and stores it under a metal carport.
    Tell me if im wrong but if he has always ran that prop seems to me that the motor turning high rpms all the time probably wasnt to good for it.
    I just don't see how he could get out of the hole and up on plane with a 17P...
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dlewis10 View Post
    I remember him saying something about " how heavy the rear end is and takes a lil to get on plane" this was before i knew prop pitch or even what prop it was supposed to have. To be honest i think this guy dont know much about his boat. I mean i dont either but im trying to learn. This might work against me when i make him a offer.

11. Member
    Having been down a similar road, I have some comments. Hard to tell by the pictures bit it looks like sealant applied around the fittings on the transom and on the splashwell drains - not a good sign. The transom cracks are in an unusual place - not a good sign. Put the pedestals in place and try to move them. Mine had rotten wood in the decks around the pedestal bases. Take the transom lip cover off and check with a screwdriver or ice pick. Look in the rear access compartment and see if there are dents in the transom at the motor bolts. Like mine had, there are lots of flags but I knew it going in, spent some money, did some work myself, and enjoyed the boat for several years. You might also want to take a hammer and tap the rear third of the trailer and the rear 2 cross members to check structural integrity. If he ran high RPMs with a bad prop, the seals could be damaged. You might want to let a little grease out and look for signs of water. Many years of used boats tells me that someone who never washed a boat is a very low maintenance guy and you are likely to encounter anything.

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dlewis10 View Post
    He'll get out of the hole like a jack rabbit but he won't have any top end. Just like pulling a skier you want a lower pitch prop to help with pulling the load. You don't want a high pitch prop for that. I'd love to see some pictures of the motor. I can just imagine what the water pump and lower unit fluid look like if nothing has been done to the motor for 12 years.

13. Member

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    He'll get out of the hole like a jack rabbit but he won't have any top end. Just like pulling a skier you want a lower pitch prop to help with pulling the load. You don't want a high pitch prop for that. I'd love to see some pictures of the motor. I can just imagine what the water pump and lower unit fluid look like if nothing has been done to the motor for 12 years.
    As he was telling me this i assumed he was was stretching the truth a little.I am assuming that regular maintenance was done to the motor. I asked if he took it to a mechanic to have work done. He rambled off a marina that he takes it too so i think that is where the stator was put on and im hoping regular maintenance was done.

15. Member
    I am supposed to meet him this weekend again to take a ride. (supposed to snow like crazy) and i have been taking notes of more stuff im gonna ask and couple things im gonna look at. You can tell the boat has been neglected right much, but i dont think this guy is hurting for money either. so i dont see him neglecting the maintenance but i could be wrong. i will definitely look at the lower unit lube and see what kinda shape it is in.

Numbers don't lie. Start adding up what you'll need to spend to get the boat into "reasonable" condition - that will allow it to be maintained as it should going forward. I.e., cost of full wet sand/polish/wax on entire hull; seats redone (you mentioned this); new carpet(?); engine mtce (new water pump, carbs rebuilt, new prop, etc.); trailer mtce. (bearings? brakes? tires? springs? new bunks/carpet); electrical/batteries/gauges? You already mentioned this too.
    List anything that is not working, and needs repair/replacement - and put a cost number on it. This is your negotiation list... hard for a seller to argue with the numbers when you start adding everything up!
    You'll likely find the proper purchase price will be closer to your original thought of $2500 than his asking price of $5000.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12