Lower Meramac River..down toward Mississippi River..

Has anyone ever fished the lower Meramac River. Down toawrd where the Meramac hits the Mississippi River up to George Winter Park. I've fished it one time along time ago, but never really picked anything good up. It's so close to the house that it's hard to not want to fish it.

2. Member

USA

I tried it once, same results as you. But, years ago my nephew caught some white bass on minnows. Live bait might be the key. I would think you could get some catfish.

I can tell you it's not like it was several years ago. Been fishing that river since 07 and I hate to say but the carp may have done that place in. Still some good fish to be had but it can be damn tough. Check water levels carefully as there are real shallow areas even down by the Mississippi.
    LET'S GO BLUES!!! WILL WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 2024?

4. Member
    If it had bass in it at one time I would think it still should right? I mean the Mississippi still has them in it. Just gotta find them..

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90pantera View Post
    If it had bass in it at one time I would think it still should right? I mean the Mississippi still has them in it. Just gotta find them..
    The flooding has really changed that fishery.. The asian carp are THICK and have also changed the way it fishes..
    That river used to be "loaded" with spots and nice LM..
    My buddy and I fished 4 tournies there YEARS AGO as Bassindude fished as well and we targeted bigger LM instead of the smallies or spots..
    The place has SUCKED the last 2 years or more since the massive flooding..
    Spawning there is pretty non existent or VERY late due to the flooding..
    lewisboat.com
    Omega Custom Tackle
    Lewis Pro Team
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

6. Member
    So has anyone attempted to fish it lately with the water dripping?? It's so close to home that I am so tempted to fish it but wasting time isn't fun either...

7. Member
    I don"t even know where you could put in at now, would have to be up river from George Winter. The fishing is better up from there.
    Mike

2019 Alweld 1960jc vv
    2014 Mercury 250 ProXS with Jet - Ser.no 1B827207
    Smartcraft Mercmonitor

2015 Alweld 1856jc flat OLD

I live 10 minutes from the river in valley park. It is a mess right now. All ramps are closed due to the flooding. I fished the river back in may before all the high water, and if you don't have a jet, I wouldn't take a glass rig upriver from George winter. Sure, you are ok now but at "normal pool'' you risk losing a lower unit. It will be weeks before the river gets "fishable" again.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Dude 365 View Post
    I live 10 minutes from the river in valley park. It is a mess right now. All ramps are closed due to the flooding. I fished the river back in may before all the high water, and if you don't have a jet, I wouldn't take a glass rig upriver from George winter. Sure, you are ok now but at "normal pool'' you risk losing a lower unit. It will be weeks before the river gets "fishable" again.
    Oh I know it’s a mess right now, I won’t fish it once the water gets lower. I won’t go past George Winter when the water is lower. We put in at Valley Park and went up river to Castlewood back in April but the water was way high then too. I drive over the river everyday at 44 and there is so many good looking spots to throw a bait at...

10. Member
    I’m glad to see someone ask this question about this area. I used to run my SeaDoo from George Winter to the Mississippi and back all the time, super fun at 40 miles per hours with all the twist and turns. I always thought the same thing that are some “fishy” looking areas and would want to try. I’ve never had the guts to take a fiberglass rig down the river. Curious to see where this thread goes and maybe I’ll join.
    1984 Ranger 395V 1998 Mariner 225 Mag EFI

"A bad day of fishing, is always better then a good day at work"

I echo the decline of the largemouth bass on the lowe end. Have a friend who has fished it for fifty years nearly daily and he says the bass are at all time worst. All about the Asian carp moving in and taking over. Crappie suck too. Used to be great for both species.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick H View Post
    I echo the decline of the largemouth bass on the lowe end. Have a friend who has fished it for fifty years nearly daily and he says the bass are at all time worst. All about the Asian carp moving in and taking over. Crappie suck too. Used to be great for both species.
    Ran the river this evening and carp were boiling everywhere. Thankfully none were jumping. Sucks to see my once favorite spot reduced to miles of trash fish.

13. Member
    Time to hold a carp kill weekend. Does the conversation department still allow them to be killed in multiple ways?
    1984 Ranger 395V 1998 Mariner 225 Mag EFI

"A bad day of fishing, is always better then a good day at work"