Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Same here! HB needs better product quality instead of product variety!

Quote Originally Posted by jawjatek View Post
    I wanted the 'bird Mega+ SI to complement my Garmin LS. After reading all the issue folks have with 'bird SW updates on multiple forums - no way am I buying one. I'll make do with the Garmin until Humminbird gets their SW QC/QA up to modern standards.

2. Member
    What would it be like to run both? Could you run a HB Mega SI ducer on one side and the Garmin UHD ducer on the other side? Would there be too much interference? I'm actually thinking about this.

3. Member
    so I just redid all my boat electronics went with Garmin for 2 reasons. 1st. Panoptix livescope. 2nd price I did the math and to outfit my boat with equal equipment. 3 display units and hummingbirds 360 on trolling motor and network it be $1,309.99 higher. Garmin offering more bang for your buck. I mean Garmin has UHD now and while I agree mega image provides better imaging Garmin UHD is not far behind on the down and side views to justify $1,300 more in price I could add a 4th display to my boat and still be couple bucks cheaper. I have no brand loyalty to anyone my original set up was lowrance set up. I just ran the numbers to get everything I wanted And Garmin is just at a better price point Total package cost for 3 ( 9” displays ). Panoptix livescope & network $7,928.92. A equal hummingbird set up would been $9,238.91. Leave it up to you guys to decided your personal preferences. That was just my thoughts

4. Member
    Thanks for bringing the thread back, Canterburyc!

After 14 months, I bought myself a HB Helix 10 G2.5N, and I am making the comparison by myself.

So far, with Echomap Plus 93sv + GT54 (not GT52), I would say:

Garmin 2D and UHD DV is on par with HB 2D (HW) and Mega DI, and is even better in some situations. HB needs adjustment from one place to another, but Garmin generally work fine without adjustments so often.

Garmin SV on 455khz is a little behind HB 455khz SI. Both units can see the same objects (100ft each side), but Helix 10 shows small objects better on the screen, probably due to a higher screen resolution.

I wanted to compare Garmin UHD SV with HB mega SI, but the UHD unit’s screen resolution has made me to leave it alone for now.

5. Member
    I put one on the bow and one on the transom. Only get interference in 2D because both are HW and cone shape beams. I just ignored it.

For down and side view/imaging, not at all, even using the same frequency bands, likely because the beams are so thin (from front to back).

Quote Originally Posted by sra61 View Post
    What would it be like to run both? Could you run a HB Mega SI ducer on one side and the Garmin UHD ducer on the other side? Would there be too much interference? I'm actually thinking about this.

6. Member
    Garmin SV vs HB SI (455 kHz only):

7. Member
    Garmin UHD DV vs HB Mega DI:

8. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Thanks for posting the videos it proves garmin has the best of the best in electronics.

9. Member
    sorry, TOC. Show me where the proof is again?

10. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    On both those videos garmin is just as good on side and down and he even chose a crappy color on the garmin it should be amber .Along with scope there’s not a better system . When I see fish on a brush pile or dock on my garmin side I confirm it with scope it never lies on either account.

Here’s one fish everywherehttps://ibb.co/pQZYtZC
    Last edited by TOUCH OF CLASS; 04-17-2020 at 10:17 PM.

11. Member
    Garmin side does look pretty good on side imaging at 455 but who uses 455 most days now? Humminbird Mega side imaging is hard to beat. With the new Mega+ units you can extend your range over 120 feet per side and still get super clear images. Best I've seen from Garmin is about 40 feet per side. Is Garmin getting better, YES! The best out there, not in side of down imaging. But Garmin does have Livescope, which is great. Now If they could just admit they screwed up the software with the new Perspective View software and get Livescope back to the way it was we would all be happy!

12. Member
    ^this

TOC look at the tires again. Useable, yes. As good as Humminbird and "best of the best"? Come on, man

13. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    It’s the color palette he has which is basically black and white why he didn’t use the amber like the bird I have no idea as why would you have one at 90 and the other at 50 .But it does everything the birds do and better as say down looks much better and side is right there .Iam looking for fish 90 percent of the time and with scope it just adds a big advantage that bird doesn’t have right now.Can all of the company’s be better ?yes but that will come in time .Garmin does have the best of the best as of now imo.

14. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I have buddies with birds 2 of them sold and bought garmin because it was better on side ,2 buddies had lowrance both went to garmins .I still have a couple buddies that have birds that are real close after they see mine they are very impressed with every aspect of it .I guess I should put it it’s the best all around system out there as I can link scope for the guy in the back and still use down and side as needed on both units.
    We were out yesterday 38 degrees cold and catching crappie in 30 feet of water on the scope and finding them with side scan which a couple buds were with me and really impressed with garmin.
    Likei I have said garmin can improve every ting on the units but it a total package that works now.

15. Member
    TOC have you ever actually used a HB Mega?
    Not "seen one in my friends boat" but actually USED it?

Edit: simul post

16. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    As far as 455 it’s my 90 percent use gt30 I have gt34 that I use some but really like the gt30

17. Member
    Enjoy your Garmins, my man

18. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Yes I played with a couple 1198 and 10 helix g2 I fish with 2 different buddies that had them for years and both were good and that depended on what the day was etc.You guys may not know but we ran the high school bass clubs for almost 8 years and we fished every weekend as we had 12 boats and 25 kids in our club.So we were in other boats.I had a Ranger 520 uncle with birds and I used that boat a lot .Did they work yes ,but not any better than my 1242/1042.
    Heres another thing you have to adjust the garmin you can’t leave it on factory settings to get the most out of it just as bird and lowrance.If your to hot it will be washed out on any of them.I have thought about buying a 9 bird g3 for helm but I just don’t see the need after seeing all the videos that get released some look good but a lot look bad and I know it’s the user setup but really nothing has made me say it’s better than garmin to spend the cash

19. Member
    Based on the two videos above, you can even run DI/SI and SV/DV side by side on the transom. Not much interference is observed.

2D interference should be there.

In addition, I don’t see the HB Helix 180 degrees of SI coverage, either from the above videos, or from my own experience. I put two transducers side by side, same height, around 5 inches apart.

Quote Originally Posted by sra61 View Post

20. Member
    I agree with the captain the Humminbird side imaging looked better and the down image looked similar. The Garmin images were better that expected

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast