A.G.M marine starting battery. (interstate)

Got the call from the dealer my 2019 triton18 trx w/a 150 pro xs f/s , will be ready later this week. My question is, the starting battery is an agm interstate. It's NOT hooked upto the on board charger. The dealer tells me the battery will never need chargeing , because of the charging system in the mercury.

My concern is what if the boat sits in the garage for 2-3 weeks. Won't the battery need chargeing from being idle. Do AGM's discharge when not is use? LIke lead acid batteries.
    Do i need to buy a agm battery charger.

I'm considering changeing it over to a group 31lead acid if this will be a problem.

For what its worth the fit and finish of the 2019 tritons are better than my previous tritons. Once break in is complete I'll go into more detail on this boat.

2. Member
    A AGM battery will not suffer from sitting even 2 months. It has a much lower self discharge rate then wet-batteries.

3. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by bassanglr View Post
    The dealer tells me the battery will never need chargeing , because of the charging system in the mercury.
    1. you need to find another dealer.
    2. The battery does need to be charged and no the engine is NOT going to maintain the battery at full charge.
    3. You don't state the model and specifications of the AGM in question? Does it meet/exceed the Mercury requirements for the engine as stated in your manual and/or what Don has stated many times on the board?

Allot of questions have come up the past year in regards to the installation/rigging of the new 4 strokes and most of them have been addressed here. Trust no one. Get your information together and know what is correct before it's rigged or prior to taking possession. Many of the dealers have never seen one of these engines and even though Mercury has installation instructions for them, allot of stuff is getting installed incorrectly.

Just went thru an install where the clean power harness/main battery was done and not incorporated into the battery cutoff switch and the primer bulb was left in the fuel line.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    2. The battery does need to be charged and no the engine is NOT going to maintain the battery at full charge.
    3. You don't state the model and specifications of the AGM in question? Does it meet/exceed the Mercury requirements for the engine as stated in your manual and/or what Don has stated many times on the board?

Allot of questions have come up the past year in regards to the installation/rigging of the new 4 strokes and most of them have been addressed here. Trust no one. Get your information together and know what is correct before it's rigged or prior to taking possession. Many of the dealers have never seen one of these engines and even though Mercury has installation instructions for them, allot of stuff is getting installed incorrectly.

Just went thru an install where the clean power harness/main battery was done and not incorporated into the battery cutoff switch and the primer bulb was left in the fuel line.
    Exactly

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Self-discharge is lower, but the load from the engine may discharge the battery. Your outboard won't keep it charged.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    I concur with the above posters.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Mike- may want to take up that Clean Power comment in a separate thread. Suspect yours is now WRONG unless I misunderstood you.

Bassanglr: You definitely need an appropriate charger for your cranking battery. Charge that battery fully before every outing. Period. As for what you were told... was this a salesman, technician, service manager, or boat-jockey that told you this? THAT does make a difference... even the best dealerships have people around that you might potentially strike up a conversation with (who might not necessarily be the best source of technical info).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. mikesxpress
    Don my stuff is right. Always has been.
    Another guy just got his new V8 rigged and it was not wired per the manual and they left the bulb on.

9. Member
    Don my stuff is right. Always has been.
    Another guy just got his new V8 rigged and it was not wired per the manual and they left the bulb on.
    So the new ProXs 4 stroke doesn't utilize a primer bulb?
    2019 Phoenix 721 ProXp
    2019-250 H.P. Mercury ProXs 4 Stroke V8 Serial# 2B531797

10. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Billwwar View Post
    No

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billwwar View Post
    No it does not