A.G.M marine starting battery. (interstate)

Got the call from the dealer my 2019 triton18 trx w/a 150 pro xs f/s , will be ready later this week. My question is, the starting battery is an agm interstate. It's NOT hooked upto the on board charger. The dealer tells me the battery will never need chargeing , because of the charging system in the mercury.

My concern is what if the boat sits in the garage for 2-3 weeks. Won't the battery need chargeing from being idle. Do AGM's discharge when not is use? LIke lead acid batteries.
    Do i need to buy a agm battery charger.

I'm considering changeing it over to a group 31lead acid if this will be a problem.

For what its worth the fit and finish of the 2019 tritons are better than my previous tritons. Once break in is complete I'll go into more detail on this boat.

2. Member

USA

An AGM battery will hold a charge longer than a lead acid. If you really use it every 2-3 weeks, and take a long run once a trip. You might be OK. If you can hook it to your charger ( if you have a 3-bank charger, and it will charge an AGM battery do it ). Triton can upgrade you to a 3-bank charger, or you could get a separate one for your AGM (make sure it will charge an AGM). I Started out with a 2-bank and upgraded to a 3-bank about 2 years later. Do it now if you can.

3. Member
    Check the mercury forum for batteries that actually meet mercury specs . The pro xs requires a lot of starting amps, I’ve had bad luck with interstates. If you run graphs and pumps with the starting battery you really need it hooked up to a charger . I started off with a interstate agm after the 2 nd one ( got given under warranty ) left me stranded on a empty lake , I bought an oddesy battery and a noco gb40

4. Member
    You need the start battery hooked up to a onboard charger.....Period.

5. Member
    A charging bank for each battery on my rig. Pay for it up front or wait until it fails then pay for it and loose a day of fishing. I run a 4 bank charger “minkota” and 4 group 31’s.

I wouldnt trust your dealer after that statement. You need a charger on the cranking battery. Fishfinders and pumps run off that battery. Upgrade the charger and put a group 31 starting battery in it before taking it off the lot.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownBass View Post
    I wouldnt trust your dealer after that statement. You need a charger on the cranking battery. Fishfinders and pumps run off that battery. Upgrade the charger and put a group 31 starting battery in it before taking it off the lot.
    Nothing wrong with a Interstate AGM, upgrade to a three bank charger though, we sell boats all the time and always use bank for each battery.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    You need the start battery hooked up to a onboard charger.....Period.
    This ^^^^^

9. Member
    For peace of mind hook it up to on board charger!

10. Member
    For peace of mind hook it up to on board charger! Can't believe the dealer told you that.

11. Member
    I concur that the cranking battery also needs to be on a charger/maintainer also, most definitely!

I'm pretty sure the new four stroke motors require an AGM battery. I would not change it to a lead battery until a certified merc mechanic tells you it is ok.

13. Member
    Hook it up to a charger I wouldnt trust not doing that.

14. Member
    I"ve got a 6 month old age interstate battery that cuts off the graphs every time I start my 250! Interstate says nothing wrong with it won't warranty it. Friend has the same problem they won't warranty it either. For $340 bucks they should make it up. If your dealer has a different brand I'd go that direction

Post this in the Mercury 4stroke section. Don Weed (EuropeanAM) is the guru of these motors. He will know. I do know that unlike the ProXS 2stroke, the new 4strokes can charge the battery at idle and is a completely different charging profile. Interstates are not the right battery for a 2 stroke but that does not mean, the same is true in this case. In my experience though, Interstate batteries are far from being good batteries.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

16. Member
    Definitely put all of your batteries on a charger. I've also had poor experiences with interstate batteries. I've had them in boats and in fleet vehicles at my work, and they don't hold up well in my experience. I'm sure some out there love them, but I won't use them anymore.

17. kenny@bunchmarine
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    I'm pretty sure the new four stroke motors require an AGM battery. I would not change it to a lead battery until a certified merc mechanic tells you it is ok.
    100% truth!! There's a bulletin out from Mercury that discusses this.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    The AGM battery IS a LEAD battery.

19. kenny@bunchmarine
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    The AGM battery IS a LEAD battery.
    To get technical you are correct, if you prefer wet cell vs AGM that would be better. But I think the understood wording of lead was interpreted as wet cell.

20. Member
    hook up to the charger man...always. And like one other person said, pick up a noco gb40 and you should never be stranded!