Give me your best Salmon smoking method

Wanna try Salmon in my MES. Never done it. Give me some ideas
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turfy49431 View Post
    Wanna try Salmon in my MES. Never done it. Give me some ideas
    Been a long while but I believe I just coated the salmon with olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon slices. into the smoker it went and was stupid good. I'm not even a big fan of salmon but this was wonderful.

3. Member
    Salmon will take on any flavor you put on it. I tend to like my pork rub. Just dont over do it on the rub.

4. Member
    Cedar plank soaked in water for at least an hour, oil, and a coffee rub is our goto for salmon.

I use a simple marinade of soy sauce, water, and brown sugar. Not too much, enough to soak it. Maybe a little ginger mixed in. Before putting it in the box, I let it get to room temp and sprinkle some coarse ground black pepper.
    Last edited by fr8dog; 12-04-2018 at 11:19 AM.

How about some cooking times and temps to go along with the prep???? Everything is sounding great so far
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

7. Member
    250 about 2 hours I believe. Till it start flaking with a fork.

I do salmon all the time..

Old Bay Blackened Season, crack pepper, Olive Oil.. Hint of crack salt..

Salmon, no skin.. light coat of oil.. Old Bay, then Pepper and a very hint of cracked salt.. wrap in plastic-wrap.. 2 to 6hrs in fridge..

Set up charcoal grill.. cook around 300F... I use Applewood with fish.. hickory or mesquite is too strong.. Pecan works well too..

Indirect heat, get a good smoke going.. Cook for about 20mins.. you will see white juices come to the top.. I then slide over coals for about a min or 2.. get some char on bottom. If you are courageous, flip the filet over and char the other side for a min over direct coals..

Tips.. I normally cut the fillet in half.. I find it easier to move and flip. If I dont eat it all.. I vacuum pack it and it will stay fresh in fridge up to 2 weeks.. Yes, 2 weeks.. Its unreal good - Cold! on salads...

I only use Old Bay Blackend.. Ive tried others and always go back to this..

I get my salmon at Costco..
    LT - DCFD

9. Member
    We do a lot of salmon and lake trout through the holidays and eat it cold, with crackers, salads, omelet. For me, keep it simple. Light sprinkle of kosher salt, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Let sit in the fridge overnight, smoke the next day at 225-250’F for about 2 hours. Keeps great in the fridge and makes a great snack. I usually smoke it with hickory wood but everyone has their preference.
    Scott

10. Member
    One other piece of advice, cook it with the skin on but after it’s cool pull the skin, seems like the flavor is better and it keeps longer. Enjoy