Livewells drain when running

I swear I saw this on here before but cannot find it. Both my livewells drain when I am running. Livewells full of fish and after running they are halfway empty, sometimes less than that. 2002 tr-19. Does it just as bad during a glassy day as it does on a rough day
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

2. Member
    I purchased kayak plugs for 10-15 dollars. Insert them in the overflow when running with full livewells. Really helped alot.
    2016 Triton 22 TRX
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    I purchased the rubber pieces that go on the bottom of crutches or a walking cane from Home Depot and put them in the overflow drain. A lot cheaper than 10-15 dollars
    Dennis Hollis
    MSgt USMC(Ret)

4. Member
    You have to block the over flow when running if live wells are full.

On my 2000 TR19, I had to plug the livewell drain holes and not the overflow holes. If you pull our boat out of the water, do you livewells drain on the ramp? If so, the same thing happens while you run on plane... I always keep my "pump in" pump on a timer. If I plugged the overflow, it would fill the bilge.

6. Member

USA

On my 2004 you must have the drain plugs in, or it will drain when running.

7. Member
    I always leave the drain plugs in. Must all be coming out of the overflow just seems like a lot of water going out.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

8. Member
    I believe if your drain plugs don't fit real tight the water pressure from inside of the well and the suction created when on plane will draw the water out. Just my thought.
    Rocket

9. Member
    Use some silicone around the top seam of the livewell where it meets the bottom of the top deck. That's your leak.

Also if the livewell fill pumps are on while running it will draw water out. I always switch to manual recirc and turn off livewell when running.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishindoc View Post
    Also if the livewell fill pumps are on while running it will draw water out. I always switch to manual recirc and turn off livewell when running.
    Hit nail on head^^^^^

The flappers inside of the valve need to be replaced because they wear out over time and don't seal properly. https://store.flow-rite.com/catalog/...0/category/60/
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.