Question Merc (uflex) hydraulic steering trailering clips?

It seems the merc hydraulic steering cylinder uses a larger rod diameter than my old seastar because my clips no longer fit!

What's my best bet for trailering clips now? What do you use?

2. Member
    Most recommend NOT using one. You are correct that the stainless steel pushrod is slightly larger. Also the seals stick out very slightly and if you are not careful, your clip can interfere with the edge of the seal and damage it. If you insist on using one, I would go with the black rubber versions that have a little more give than the TH marine versions. And I would take my handy dremel with a sanding drum and bevel the inside edge of both ends of each clip to make sure it can't contact the rubber/nylon part of the seal where it meets the pushrod...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

3. Moderator
    If not using clips, how do you secure the motor from making its way to one side or the other?

4. Member
    The Motor Mate transom saver device works fine on mine - and a LOT of others.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbh3 View Post
    The Motor Mate transom saver device works fine on mine - and a LOT of others.
    This! Rock solid no side to side movement when in tow. Very well engineered product.

6. Moderator
    I thought the motor mate transom saver fits in the tilt bracket and doesn't isolate steering... we're talking about isolating steering.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassburch View Post
    I thought the motor mate transom saver fits in the tilt bracket and doesn't isolate steering... we're talking about isolating steering.
    You are correct. The motor mate is a rock solid transom saver and stabilizes the steering.

8. Member
    I have been running a silver steer cylinder for 8 months or so now. Have NEVER had the motor tilt to either side while towing up to 500 miles in one continuous run. I do use the BCB recommended old-style lower unit to rear trailer roller type of transom saver. With the old seastar cylinder, it would definitely cock to one side, the reason I bought the TH Marine clips. The silver steer has not done it at all without the clips...

This on a Pro XS 200 two-stroke.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

9. Member
    No need for steering clips with modern transom savers.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    I have been running a silver steer cylinder for 8 months or so now. Have NEVER had the motor tilt to either side while towing up to 500 miles in one continuous run. I do use the BCB recommended old-style lower unit to rear trailer roller type of transom saver. With the old seastar cylinder, it would definitely cock to one side, the reason I bought the TH Marine clips. The silver steer has not done it at all without the clips...

This on a Pro XS 200 two-stroke.
    Although it uses the same housing and rod, the Silver Steer is not the same cylinder.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

It seems the merc hydraulic steering cylinder uses a larger rod diameter than my old seastar because my clips no longer fit!

What's my best bet for trailering clips now? What do you use?
    I took a heat gun and spread the clips enough to use the old ones.
    Until I bought a motor mate.. No need for them now.

12. Member
    how does the motormate stabilize steeing if its on the trim cylinders what am I not seeing

13. Member
    answer my own question I see it attaches to motor and not trim cylinders

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coosa bassmaster View Post
    how does the motormate stabilize steeing if its on the trim cylinders what am I not seeing
    It doesn't use the trim cylinders. Check out the video demo on https://motormateusa.com/why-motormate/
    2014 Charger 496 / Merc 250 Pro XS

15. Member
    yeah I watched probably gonna have to have one

16. Moderator
    Yup I did NOT realize the motormate isolates the motor in all directions, eliminating the need for clips altogether. I just wish the damn thing wasn't $100! Anyone find them for less?

17. Member
    They are well worth the $100......save up some money!

Yup I did NOT realize the motormate isolates the motor in all directions, eliminating the need for clips altogether. I just wish the damn thing wasn't $100! Anyone find them for less?
    Compared to some other options $100 is very reasonable. I love mine its worth it.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.