Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Banned
    We deal with the same thing up north. Bad thing up here is the DEQ / DNR rely on the Weed Control Companies to be the Experts in Weed Control If the companies aren't spraying they aren't making any money. Lakes up here are sprayed once a month from Ice Out until Fall. Usually they are Killing Dead Weeds Lake front owners don't like weeds and could care less about fish and fishermen. Hoping you are able to do something about it.

2. 1/2 of ' team catfish ' ol man river's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gws21 View Post
    Must be all the Yankees down there spraying

thanks for the constructive comments on a serious thread.

Must be all the Yankees down there spraying
    Amazing, someone from "Cowhampsha" commenting on a serious issue confronting all FLORIDA fishermen down here makes a lot of sense

Spanky

Quote Originally Posted by ol man river View Post
    thanks for the constructive comments on a serious thread.
    Sam,
    Long time no see on here Brother, how are ya?

Spanky

5. 1/2 of ' team catfish ' ol man river's Avatar
    still on the green side of the grass - its all good.
    fyi theres an FWC meeting at WGV next wed 12/12 from 8:30-6 . public comments near the end of the meeting towards the end of their scheduled agenda. ( sometime after lunch ) i will be there to either speak or defer my allotted time to one of the others who have more lengthy presentations. hopefully some of whats to be presented will open some eyes to whats been happening .

https://captainsforcleanwater.org/

These guys are getting up in politicians faces. Can you imagine if we had the number of members that the NRA has...Same goes for CCA.
    Memberships are less than what most guys spend on one trip to the tackle shop.

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Thanks for that link, I will look them up more. It’s obvious they depend on donations, I just wish they had more links to info. The link to deep link wells was something I had no knowledge of so it was a good thing to read. Organization is the key to getting anything done imo.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky06 View Post
    Amazing, someone from "Cowhampsha" commenting on a serious issue confronting all FLORIDA fishermen down here makes a lot of sense

Spanky
    Manatee is always complain about out of state anglers coming down to Florida to spend our money and fish. And we are the cause of algae
    There are more cows per capita in Florida than NH

9. Member
    There is plenty of blame to go around with the sorry state of our waters here in Florida. Over population, piss poor urban planning, agriculture run off, all run off, worthless weed control program, pollution, anglers ( mostly snowbirds ) keeping every bass or speck they catch... I can go on and on. Will trying to stop or at least control the out of control chemical spraying solve all the water quality issues, no. But it's a start. Sad thing is the fresh water guys new about these issues for years and there was minimal out cry. Now that the freshwater runoff is causing algae and red tide concerns in our saltwater more people are listening and speaking out.
    Brad Krone

10. Banned
    Manatee is always complain about out of state anglers coming down to Florida to spend our money and fish. And we are the cause of algae
    There are more cows per capita in Florida than NH
    I don't care about your damn money! Yall bring traffic on the roads and boat ramps and are the reason for the explosion in population. Developers clear cuts our forest only to be replaced by Walmarts and Stuco houses. If there were not so many golf courses and parking lots then maybe the water could peculate into the soil like it should helping to reduce the algae! Do us all a favor and stay in NH. This wasn't a thread about yall bitches!

It's easy for someone who does not live here to sit and pass judgement on those of us who do, but Manatee is correct, the growth in Northeast Fl. is ridiculous, the resources are in trouble and the vocal minority who own some waterfront property are complaining about the native aquatic grasses are having them wiped out. The spraying of Herbicide is indiscriminate and wide spread. I wonder if they would take their airboats up the Silver, Rainbow or other tourist type Rivers and spray the way they do at Orange Lochloosa, Rodman or even the St. Johns River. The guys doing this have to provide answers that make some kind of sense to those of us who are responsible Stewards of these waterways that we enjoy. We need to start bombarding Gov. Elect Desantis to start looking in to this, it has to stop. And folks who don't have a clue about the spraying issues down here need to stay the hell out of the conversation. Just my 2 cents

Spanky

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblerman65 View Post
    Does anyone know Roland Martin well enough to get him involved. His place has to be effected by the spraying. Also this is a wild card but the Erin Brockovich organization might get involved..
    She was here in October
    Clean water activist Erin Brockovich is getting a first hand look at our water quality crisis here in Florida.Sunday she was in Stuart assessing algal blooms. Brockovich says, so far, it’s the worst she’s seen.Monday, she is scheduled to tour Lake Okeechobee, followed by a stop in Fort Myers Wednesday to host a town hall event.The environmentalist encouraged activists to keep fighting for clean water, stating many of them are already taking the right action.Brockovich announced her support for the “Stop Harmful Discharges Act” which makes public health and safety the primary project purpose for the management of Lake Okeechobee.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

13. Member
    I have 880 followers on my facebook page "Save Lake Istokpoga" I try to spread any info I can on this. Save Florida lakes and waterways has a little over 1100
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

14. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Good for you Scott! Education is out only hope. An educated, mad, fed up base can become organized. But the lack of knowledge makes us all seem stupid.

Its like the sign at the Boat Ramp that says “the actions of one air boater can change the image of all air boaters”. I remembered reading it when I got buzzed by a guy doing a 360 within 100 yards of me. I got sprayed and was pissed!! Then I remembered the sign and tried to remember this is just 1 idiot.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    I don't care about your damn money! Yall bring traffic on the roads and boat ramps and are the reason for the explosion in population. Developers clear cuts our forest only to be replaced by Walmarts and Stuco houses. If there were not so many golf courses and parking lots then maybe the water could peculate into the soil like it should helping to reduce the algae! Do us all a favor and stay in NH. This wasn't a thread about yall bitches!
    well this really makes me want to sit down and write a check.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    10\4, I don't mind donating a couple hundred bucks every few months if we can at least get these guys under control.
    Good luck

17. Member
    700 million dollars and 500 jobs feom the south Florida water management district alone were cut when the last governor was elected. You cant keep cutting everything that will protect the environment in a state that has one of the most sensitive ecosystems in the country.

18. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Was this the same Swiftmud that thought it was a good idea to dig a STRAIGHT canal from Kissimmee to Okeechobee the first time? Then had to go back and make it more “natural” with curves and “stuff” to keep the water from flowing so fast and draining the ‘Glades??

I agree that that they are absolutely needed, but who’s agenda are they following? The environment, Big Sugar, etc? We act as if we know better than Mother Nature and can alter the cycles of high/low water, weeds, fish with no side effects. It’s pompous thinking to me but I’m one opinion in a sea of worthless opinions.

I’m sure weighing all sides before making any decision on their part is hard, and no agency is perfect; I’d just like to see more than lip service being paid to our converservstion ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast