considering new 2017/2018 V20- thoughtful conversation please

I am considering purchasing a new 2017 or 2018 Legend V20. plan on going for a test ride this coming weekend. I would like to have a thoughtful conversation without the Ford/Chevy bs bias comments if we could.
    I currently have a 1996 Nitro 896 Summit (19'6) with 200 EFI. It has been a hell of a boat and looks less than 5 yrs old. Before any Nitro comments start, this boat still runs a real 72 on the GPS, strong hull shot, takes rough water well and is a very dry ride. Every one I fish with (Ranger owners, Viper, Champion and cat) that has been in my boat for a few days is always shocked at how well the boat performed, thus I end of keeping it year after year after year. I am 50 and am planning to buy another 20 yr boat. I fish tidal water about 85% of the time so shallow water and hull shot performance is something I need to keep in mind. I no longer need to break speed records but still like to go fast on occasion. I want a stable fishing platform, quality build, fit and finish with solid functional use.
    I would be adding a 12 inch hyd jackplate, 2 12 ft talons and the minn kota ultrex ipilot link trolling motor.

I know there are a few cosmetic differences in the 17 and 18 models like shape of console and cooler in between seats in the 17. Any other differences?
    Please share with me your experience with the V20. what are your likes and dislikes, things that you would never change or how you would "uprgrade" to make the boat better.

2. Member
    I planned on buying a 2017, but after seeing one in person, the top cap is what made me go with the 2018. The cooler in between the seats sucks, I use the rear compartment for a cooler and use the space between the seats for storage.

Legends are great boats but I just have to ask...why would anyone spend $60k on something that is discontinued with limited support? Not trying to steer you away I’m just wondering.

4. Member
    what was different on the top cap?

5. Member
    The support for Legend is still there

6. Member
    You won’t find a better ride in rough water or a better looking boat. The fit and finish is extremely well done. People still pay top dollar for a Champion that has been discontinued for almost a decade. White River Marine Group still has to honor the warrenty. I loved mine I had a 211 and two different V-20’s. I sold it cause I get a new boat about every 2 years and like to switch things up. I would not hesitate to buy another one some day. There are things you need to look for in a used one with the early models.

7. Member
    I almost traded / sold my V20 but everything I looked at and drove didn’t perform better than what I have. So instead of buying another new boat I updated my electronics trolling motor and batteries. If there were a better boat I’d be in it. I even had opportunities with a couple manufacturers but couldn’t be swayed away from my Legend. I’ll keep my boat for 2 more years and see what comes up. After running my boat last week after doing the electronics suite I’m more that pleased with my decision.
    Johnny
    "Short Brown & Round"

Sun Tropic Outdoors & Shooting Team

8. Member
    I wish I had gotten into a V20 I before the new owners messed it up and lied to the dealerships. Great great boats!!
    Johnny
    "Short Brown & Round"

Sun Tropic Outdoors & Shooting Team

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassdge View Post
    what was different on the top cap?
    The 17 was more rounded, if that makes sense. The 18 comes from the rub rail up then is more flat on the top, pretty similar to a new ranger compared to an older ranger. Nothing that effects performance, just cosmetic. As of a week ago, Fredricks Outoor in Dectur AL, had 4 Legends left. 2-1017 and 2 - 2018, 2017 cheaper, but both priced in the low $50's. One was a v21

10. Member
    You would think Johnny Morris would give those dealers with Legends still in stock some rebate help to get rid of them. I mean he led the dealers to believe everything was going to last forever, knowing all along he was going to pull the plug on Legend.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magqw7 View Post
    The 17 was more rounded, if that makes sense. The 18 comes from the rub rail up then is more flat on the top, pretty similar to a new ranger compared to an older ranger. Nothing that effects performance, just cosmetic. As of a week ago, Fredricks Outoor in Dectur AL, had 4 Legends left. 2-1017 and 2 - 2018, 2017 cheaper, but both priced in the low $50's. One was a v21
    are those new boats. their site takes me to boattrader and it does not say new or used

Quote Originally Posted by bassdge View Post
    are those new boats. their site takes me to boattrader and it does not say new or used
    The 2 2018s are new. They have 1 new 2017. It’s a v21. The 1 2017 v20 they had is now mine. :) The others they have are used. Talk to George.... Great guy.
    2022 Basscat PII
    Mercury 200 Pro XS 4stroke

13. Member
    I ordered an '18 and got it this june. I've only fished 5-6 1 day tourn., but spent a week on okeechobee at our classic. We definitely put it through a lot and I can say I'm extremely happy with it. It won't outrun any Bullets or go fast boats in calm water but will shine in the rough stuff. It fishes great, deck/ storage to spare and a wide open back compartment. Hole shot with the new v-8 is impressive. I've only used the cooler between the seats and the lid does sweat some but I think some insulation on the bottom of it will fix that. WRMG will have to honor the warranty. I looked at Ranger L and Phoenix ph20 / 21 / 920 also but after looking inside and out (including trailers) I liked the Legend the best.

14. Member
    I have also purchased a Legend from Fredricks and George was my sales person...the purchasing experience was very nice...and the follow up from George when I had a few issues with my used Legend was impeccable. As for the boat..a 2015 Alpha 211...I was not too enthused after running it for several months...way too high of a bow rise and slow to get on plane with a "bow hook" experienced at 65mph...(the boat always wanted to jump to the right at 65mph.)...nobody could come up with a solid solution to that issue...it was rigged with the standard 250 merc and prop and the hydro jacker...and yes I do know how to drive a boat! ...this is why I sold the boat...other wise the fit and finish and the storage were really nice! ...and now with the recent Johnny Morris move...I am glad that I sold it....in no way am I bashing it or trying to steer you away....just passing on my experience with the brand...I would suggest test driving a Skeeter FX 21 before your purchase...

Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    I have also purchased a Legend from Fredricks and George was my sales person...the purchasing experience was very nice...and the follow up from George when I had a few issues with my used Legend was impeccable. As for the boat..a 2015 Alpha 211...I was not too enthused after running it for several months...way too high of a bow rise and slow to get on plane with a "bow hook" experienced at 65mph...(the boat always wanted to jump to the right at 65mph.)...nobody could come up with a solid solution to that issue...it was rigged with the standard 250 merc and prop and the hydro jacker...and yes I do know how to drive a boat! ...this is why I sold the boat...other wise the fit and finish and the storage were really nice! ...and now with the recent Johnny Morris move...I am glad that I sold it....in no way am I bashing it or trying to steer you away....just passing on my experience with the brand...I would suggest test driving a Skeeter FX 21 before your purchase...

Fredricks sales skeeters now too. OP could get George to take a new Legend v20 and Skeeter for a test drive and see for himself. i did and personally i was not impressed at all with the skeeter other than the 12 in graphics. Sounds strange but the steering wheel even seemed to be made of cheap plastic..... (do love the Yamaha but that Fx is going to cost you some bucks.)
    2022 Basscat PII
    Mercury 200 Pro XS 4stroke

16. Member
    Likes- Rough water ride, fit and finish, front deck size, great storage, good fishing platform.
    Dislikes- they are minor, but you can’t just let off throttle coming off plane due to backwash. Seats sit very low
    I own a 17 V20 and love it, but there are several great brands out there. Test drive what you like and you’ll know what suits you best. Some of the 17’s, including mine have experienced deck sagging in front of the center rod locker. It’s not structural and WRMG is taking care of all of these instances.

17. rjw11111
    fishermans central has a black silver v 20 with 250 merc good looking boat