Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RT188 and TX18 Seat off center??

So my boat (TX-18) is at the dealer getting its final prep before I go and pick it up. I went to look at it today for the first time and one thing I noticed (that I've never noticed before on any of the other RT188s and TX-18s) was that the drivers seat was "off-center" from the steering wheel. Now, it has been about 2 years before I had actually laid eyes on one of these boats until today, but I swore I don't remember the driver's seat being off center, but who knows, my memory is not the best. When I say off-center I'm talking about the center of the driver's seat sitting off-center about 5-6 inches from the center of the steering wheel. I didn't actually measure the offset, it might not be that much, but for a short guy with short arms, it felt like a bit, lol. Also, there is about a 5" gap between the drivers side seat and the side of the boat where the gear/throttle is.

If this is normal then I guess I'll have to deal with it, but I am reaching across myself in order to steer with my left arm, which is the arm I steer with. No big deal on a short run but this feels like it would get uncomfortable on a long run, especially sitting slightly twisted...

For those of you who own this boat, do you have the same issue, or am I the only one?

2. Member

3. Member
    Looks slightly off-center but it's hard to tell.

Definitely off center in that pic.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

5. Member
    Looks like they shift the seat to the port side a few inches to make room for the gearshift. If they moved the console to to be centered with the seat the rod box lid would have to be narrower.
    I've had my TX18 for three years and I've never noticed it until you brought it up and I'm only about 5'9" myself.
    Last edited by Lowerider58; 12-03-2018 at 06:56 AM.

6. Member
    It’s normal, and not the least bit a problem on longer runs as long as your shifter is adjusted correctly. If its too lose it’ll creep back all the time. Actually, at WOT the gear shifter/throttle can hit your leg if you’re a bigger guy. IMO that’s what is in the wrong place. The seat being offcenter is not uncommon. Ever look at a 2014-2018 Silverado?

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    It’s normal, and not the least bit a problem on longer runs as long as your shifter is adjusted correctly. If its too lose it’ll creep back all the time. Actually, at WOT the gear shifter/throttle can hit your leg if you’re a bigger guy. IMO that’s what is in the wrong place. The seat being offcenter is not uncommon. Ever look at a 2014-2018 Silverado?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    The shifter/throttle location may be what persuaded me to not buy one of these boats when I was in the market. It was a very awkward location and it was in the way of my leg when in a relaxed position.

9. Member
    Mine is off center... I think they all are. Like has been said, allows room for shifter. It has not presented any discomfort in driving at all, for me.

Attached Images Attached Images
    'No Pain, No Palm; No Thorns, No Throne; No Gall, No Glory; No Cross, No Crown'

Ranger rt188 Camo/Mercury 115 Pro XS CT

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I've never noticed that the driver's seat is slightly off-center but I do notice that the passenger seat is off center if you have a double console. The steering column on my 2000 Mustang GT is slightly off angle too.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

The seats are centered... the console is off
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger RT View Post
    The seats are centered... the console is off
    The boats are perfect. The owners are flawed

Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    The boats are perfect. The owners are flawed
    the boat has no rivets and the paint isn't chipped
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

And where going into winter This could be Epic.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

I see your issue, I drive a Chevy truck at work ad the wheel is like 2" centered from the seat! It's terrible I hear that the most recent chevs are not like this but do get pulled out of the rink by a Zamboni
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    I see your issue, I drive a Chevy truck at work ad the wheel is like 2" centered from the seat! It's terrible I hear that the most recent chevs are not like this but do get pulled out of the rink by a Zamboni
    Actually that's what kept me from buying a Chevy truck many years ago. I told the salesman the wheel was not centered with the seat and he looked at me like I had three eyes.

I have a Tracker Grizzly 1860 and put in my own console and seats. For the longest time the seat was not perfectly centered with the wheel because that's the way it worked out. I have since corrected it but the seat is pretty close to the side now but still comfortable. Looking at the picture I would say they centered the seats and let the console end up where it mounted. Crappy engineering but a couple of inches shouldn't matter, at least that's what I told her

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    And where going into winter This could be Epic.
    If we cry enough, we might get our own forum.......😀

I have a dual console and the driver's seat is aligned, but sitting in the passenger seat you can clearly see its off center and you aren't sitting directly behind the console. They could have made the seat box 4 inches longer and it would be lined up.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    If we cry enough, we might get our own forum.......

20. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I think my seat is centered but the controls may have it off the side a little bit I guess. I’ve really never noticed and it’s comfortable to drive at the Blazing speed of 43!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast