Bow graph resetting

So recent issue notice that my bow graph will turn off/on/reset while I’m running . Only happens under power. I rewired to dedicated power via blue seas block but still occurring. I tried to recreate at home thinking plug to the back of the unit (HDS 8 gen 2) was loose or connection was bad but won’t do it. Happens c few times a day and I only know it as when I go up front the “accept“ warning box is on the screen. Has happened once or twice to the console unit as well. Battery is 3 yrs old and seems fine ie I fished a tournament today no issues starting live well and no graph restarts when I turn the key. Any ideas? Could it still be battery? Or is the unit going bad? Happened 3 times today like I mentioned all while underway.

wired is 10 ga to 30 amp switched circuit breaker to a 6 lead blue seas fuse block only graphs wired to it....this started just prior to the rewiring, as that was the impetus to do the dedicated wiring.

May try swapping units just to see since it happens far more frequently up front.

Thanks in advance

rob
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    What voltage are you seeing on the unit while running? Could be overvoltage as well as undervoltage.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    14.4-14.5. But this has never been an issue until recently.

the other thing I’m noticing is that my time overlay keeps going back to dashes when this happens at times. Is there anyway this is related? I wouldn’t think so but it’s funny that the adjust time goes back to dashes. If I leave it as UTC time it’s fine.
    Last edited by rfdong; 12-01-2018 at 09:32 PM.

4. Member
    Just a thought.... Have you looked at the connections for the power cable.... A bad/poorly done connection on the Red OR Black wire could be the problem and may only happen while running because the wires are bouncing around. Mine was a bad ground connection.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

5. Member
    Good idea. I’ll run through the whole system again....thanks. I also thought it could be related to the bouncing around while running.

The only thing is I re-did every connection and was happening prior to my re wire. But not a bad idea to run it again.
    Last edited by rfdong; 12-02-2018 at 11:18 AM.

6. Member
    So went through all connections, everything seems fine, powered it up and gave every connection pos and neg a pull shake wiggle etc and could not reproduce. Voltage at the units both read 12.3-12.4 all day. But I don’t think low voltage is the cause while running? Any other ideas? Other than lowrance telling me to upgrade

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rfdong View Post
    So went through all connections, everything seems fine, powered it up and gave every connection pos and neg a pull shake wiggle etc and could not reproduce. Voltage at the units both read 12.3-12.4 all day. But I don’t think low voltage is the cause while running? Any other ideas? Other than lowrance telling me to upgrade
    12.3 to 12.4 is too low if the outboard is running.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    That’s with the outboard off. 14.5 with it on.....and that’s when it’s resetting. Thanks

9. Member
    Since you said your front graph had an alarm you had to clear, go into alarms history and see what the alarm was for.

Also what do you have you over and under voltage alarm trip points set for in the graphs?

What engine do you have?

My graphs thru an over voltage alarm, I looked down at my voltage gauge in the dash, and voltage showed way too high.

Found one of my two regulators failed on my mercury Xr6. The regulator actually melted.

10. Member
    What does the voltage do at the voltmeter on your dash when running and you hit the trim button. Does it go below the low voltage threshold of the graph. If so, you may have a battery that isn't holding under a load, but is recovering enough to keep you going.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

11. Member
    No alarms that I've seen but since I'm at the console driving if it happened and went away I wouldn't see it. I'll check the alarm history to see if it went off. I have gotten a low voltage on the console unit once or twice while starting, but it did not restart the unit, and it goes away so fast that the voltage is not noticed on the meter to have dropped if that makes sense.

I have a 2015 SHO and I do pay attention recently to my voltage while running and never seen it over 14.5

Mr Jones, I've not actually watched while trimming so I'll have to see next time out but I've never gotten an alarm for low voltage while running and trimming etc.

Alarms are set at factory, should I be adjusting them to some other values? thanks again for the input.

12. Member
    The low voltage setting I'm speaking is set in the Lowrance unit itself. If it's set at, for instance 12.0 and when trimming the voltage drops to 11.5, then it could cause the unit to reset. If it's dipping to around 9, it could indicate a trim problem also.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

13. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    When checking for low alternator voltage during trim, remember that the maximum trim motor current (lowest voltage) can be the stall current at/near the lowest position. (The highest position is no concern as it may have a limit switch stopping the motor)

Have seen units to reset for at least a couple reasons other than battery voltage......
    -electrical noise originating from the outboard ( ie opened spark plug cable ground shield,)on the units power wire...
    -wave action while running causing a loose internal connection within the sonar/gps to open momentarily.

14. Member
    [QUOTE=Jonestrollingmotor;9843353]The low voltage setting I'm speaking is set in the Lowrance unit itself. If it's set at, for instance 12.0 and when trimming the voltage drops to 11.5, then it could cause the unit to reset. If it's dipping to around 9, it could indicate a trim problem also.
    John

Alarms are stock 11v low and 18 high alarms. Alarm history does not show any voltage alarms except 2 which mentioned at the console which alarmed momentarily only at the console for a quick second and did not cause shutdown/reset. This was on 2 occasions over the course of 4 days on different days. Never while running as noted.
    Will try the trim next time out.

On another note, I never had issues until recent coinciding with the time issues on my HDS Gen 2’s? I realize the theory is gps chip but since I also noted the time disappears when this happens could this somehow be related? Just wondering at this point.
    Last edited by rfdong; 12-04-2018 at 01:10 AM.