What is the best 2 Stroke Oil?

So my 07 Yamaha 250hp HPDI is getting rebuilt this winter and I want to make sure I am running the best reviewed stuff on the market next year, what are your guys thoughts? Thanks in advance!!

2. Member
    100% synthetic anything rated TC-W3. Won't be Yamalube.

3. Member
    You might ask the shop doing the work for you, the warranty may depend on the recommended oil.
    Nelson

I would not run 100% synthetic till it was broke in, around 100 hours. Synthetic will not let the ring seat..My Choice of synthetic would be AMSOIL they have been around for a long time, longer than any other.

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

5. Member
    Have been running amsoil in mine since I had it. No carbon buildup in my ox66
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kk4iz View Post
    I would not run 100% synthetic till it was broke in, around 100 hours. Synthetic will not let the ring seat..My Choice of synthetic would be AMSOIL they have been around for a long time, longer than any other.
    What should I run until its broken in then?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IABassin View Post
    What should I run until its broken in then?
    I’m not a believer of that statement. I run Amsoil and have since day one in a new powerhead. No issues here.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

8. Member
    A two stroke is a little different than a 4 in this regard, I run full synthetic even for break in. It will take a little longer for the rings to seat but they will with no bad effects like a 4 stroke. You will see a small jump in compression when they seat. Mine took about 10-15 hours for the compression to come up. Normal with a marine 2 stroke. The synthetic runs so much cleaner I would use a blend if you are concerned. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

9. Member
    May get slayed for this one but i been running the cabelas semi synthetic since my power head rebuild and its been good to me. A lot of people use it and the price for it is fair. Once or twice a year they run a $10/gallon on it, and i load up then. There may be better ones out there but this seems to burn clean, quiet, and no issues 50 hours after my rebuild so far... If i may ask, who is doing your rebuild? Local mechanic or sending it out?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdwo2212 View Post
    May get slayed for this one but i been running the cabelas semi synthetic since my power head rebuild and its been good to me. A lot of people use it and the price for it is fair. Once or twice a year they run a $10/gallon on it, and i load up then. There may be better ones out there but this seems to burn clean, quiet, and no issues 50 hours after my rebuild so far... If i may ask, who is doing your rebuild? Local mechanic or sending it out?
    Yamaha mechanic that I know from Wisconsin, He does a lot of rebuilds so should be smooth.

11. Member
    When do they run the sale? Tried during black friday but wasn't on sale....

12. Member
    I dunno. Last year it was in the spring. Someone usually announces it here. Lol. Thats how i found out.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IABassin View Post
    Yamaha mechanic that I know from Wisconsin, He does a lot of rebuilds so should be smooth.
    Cool. If not i coulda suggested a guy thats pretty close. (Dubuque) but if you got a guy ya trust thats great.

14. Member
    Cool. If not i coulda suggested a guy thats pretty close. (Dubuque) but if you got a guy ya trust thats great.
    Thanks for the help! He’s done it for 40 years so it should be good! If anything changes I will PM you.

15. Member
    I called Yamaha on this same topic about 4 months ago and asked if swapping to quick silver full synthetic would be better than running the Quicksilver premium that I cut run and was to NO the person I spoke with recommend me to continue to use the Quicksilver Premium. He said that was one of the best oils I could use in my 300 HPDI

Quote Originally Posted by Tee1967 View Post
    I called Yamaha on this same topic about 4 months ago and asked if swapping to quick silver full synthetic would be better than running the Quicksilver premium that I cut run and was to NO the person I spoke with recommend me to continue to use the Quicksilver Premium. He said that was one of the best oils I could use in my 300 HPDI

????????????
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

17. Member
    If you want the best, it is Bel Ray Marine HP 2T, The manufacturers oils come from big refiners, Citgo makes quicksilver.