Loose Steering Wheel Assembly

I have some play where the base of my steering wheel mounts to the console (see red arrow) that allows the whole assembly to move when I push the steering wheel up/down or side/side. More of a wobble if that makes sense. Do I need to pull the steering wheel to tighten this up? It has tilt steering if that makes any difference. Thanks

From the back side there were three 7/16" bolts/nuts that I put a wrench on, but they weren't really loose. It looks like there are 2 more 7/16" bolts inside that need to be tightened up, but not sure how you could get to them. The more I look at it, not sure if removing the steering wheel will even help. Thoughts?

View from top of 1 of the bolts

Behind the spring where I put the second red arrow is the second bolt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by schinkr1; 12-01-2018 at 04:03 PM.

2. Member
    If you look under the console the bottom of those bolts should have a 7/16” nut on them. You can tighten the nuts to tighten the helm to the console if they are loose. Both of the boats I had with tilt wheel had some slack in the column but not where yours seems to be.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    If you look under the console the bottom of those bolts should have a 7/16” nut on them. You can tighten the nuts to tighten the helm to the console if they are loose. Both of the boats I had with tilt wheel had some slack in the column but not where yours seems to be.
    The three 7/16" bolts that run through the console were all tight. I'm thinking it's the 2 bolts deep inside might be loose, but not sure as I can't get to them.

4. Member
    That's why I don't order any of my boats with a tilt column a incentives 2002 they all get that way over time especially when they're used as a grab place to help when standing up from behind the console.

5. Member
    The helm unit in my 2016 Basscat had to be replaced due to "wiggle" in it. If I get another new boat, it won't have a tilt helm.

6. Banned
    That is why I didn't order a tilt wheel Roger advised me against it.