Thread: Gen 2 talons?

Gen 2 talons?

I have noticed a different Talon with a smaller control module mounted on the top vs the bulky midline mounted unit. I am guessing these are new but can't find anything published differentiating the two models. Info Please.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    I have noticed a different Talon with a smaller control module mounted on the top vs the bulky midline mounted unit. I am guessing these are new but can't find anything published differentiating the two models. Info Please.
    I think what you are describing is the first generation talons.

3. Member
    There’s been 3 versions. Maybe 4 considering the 3 stage for got how that sequence of events went.

The newest looks similiar to the last generation. The newest is Bluetooth and has a spotlight on top to broadcast light over the boat
    Nitro z21

The one with the motor on top was the very first 8 ft models. They were two stage. 10/2014 they released a three stage and moved the motor mid way down. How I know this is because 8/2014 I bought a new set of 8ft models at a reduced rate knowing the new 8 ft model was about to hit the market. I had no issue with garage door clearance so I saved some $. If you look under my user name in the picture you can see I have the Gen 1 8ft model. I am pretty sure there're on a third generation now.

thanks...I am definitely looking for the short 8' three stage. I may be in a Ranger Z119 and the 4th battery sets right where I want to put the pumps. I am looking at the Talons out of convenience but may opt. for a remote charger which may open up some space for the pumps. Trying to decide which way to go.

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    thanks...I am definitely looking for the short 8' three stage. I may be in a Ranger Z119 and the 4th battery sets right where I want to put the pumps. I am looking at the Talons out of convenience but may opt. for a remote charger which may open up some space for the pumps. Trying to decide which way to go.
    always room for pumps ...

I can list a dozen pros and cons about Talon and Power Pole but in reality they are both shallow water anchors that do the same job. It's what I call a classic Ford vs Chevy debate. In the end you must choose what best suits your particular situation. In reply#5 you only mentioned two things so I will touch on both of them...If you opt for a three stage Talon then it will sit lower than your motor. This means if your motor will go under something then the Talons will also clear with zero issues. If you opt for a Power Pole and pump mounting space is an issue then you will need to get creative. You can move stuff around in the bilge or I have even heard of people giving up a rear storage compartment so they could mount pumps. There is a ton of other pros and cons to both makes but I only touched on the two you mentioned. If you have any other question feel free to ask. I assure you I will give a non biased answer.

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Gen 4 is what we have now. They have really changed a lot since the Gen 1 and Gen 2 units. The new ones have a lot of really awesome capabilities and features. you can control them via the talon control panel on the unit, wireless remote, wireless foot switch, mobile app on your phone through your fish finder and through the trolling motor such as the ipilot link and ipilot on the Ultrex. The Gen 4 units are three stage units as well, which means they have three different launch points inside the spike. great for anchoring in different depths and soils underneath the surface.

If you look at the two types and brands of shallow water anchors, talon vs. power pole. They both serve the same purpose, they both work great. Its strictly a looks and what you like decision on them. I have owned both, they are both equally awesome.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

9. Banned
    Gen 1 and 2 have the module mounted at the top and are 4-6 years old already.