200 efi hard to start

I have a 1999 200 hp efi sn 0G866278 when you try to start the motor, it will act as if it is trying to start but will die. if you give it some gas it will start and when you back off of the gas it will idle at 800 rpm. It does this on a hot or cold start. new plugs, checked timing, compression good approx. 114 psi on all cyl. leak down test ok. checked all linkage adjustments ok. check tps set at .260 volts, fuel pressure 38 psi with motor running, Boat will come out of the hole fine and run 5600 rpm on top end, which is down about 3oo rpm, using mercury gas treatment, changed water separator filter, water pressure good approx. 5 psi at idle, thermostats are ok. Tried portable tank with new gas, no help, unhooked idle stabilizer circuit and it seem to help. need help any suggestion ?
    Last edited by bobimo; 12-04-2018 at 12:18 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Remove stabilizer and advance module COMPLETELY, perform complete sync and link.

Idle timing at 4 ATDC. WOT at 22-23 BTDC.

Set idle speed with stop screw on UPPER THROTTLE PLATE (hidden behind VST) to achieve 650 RPM (+/- 50) in FORWARD GEAR, IN THE WATER.

Then see how it does.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    thanks, I removed the idle stabilizer, reset the timing and reset idle . The motor starts without having to give extra gas. Everything seems to be working ok.

thanks again Bob

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor