Dometic fridge problem

Fridge is a 3 way. Small maybe 3 cubic foot in a truck camper. On A/C or D/C it’s plenty cold. On gas it gets cold enough at night but too warm, around 50 ish during the day. Any ideas?

2. Member
    That's odd because usually the propane works for efficient than ac on these type of units. I'd look at the way the fridge is venting heat. Go over to popup portal forums....lots of good folks on that site.
    1994 SWIFT boat 200-SDX
    1999 Mercury EFI 150

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Probably a dirty burner tube or flue. Possible a bad LP regulator.

With it lit, take a look at the flame. You don’t want much yellow flame or black smoke.

Take the orifice out and clean it without using anything abrasive. Take the burner tube out and use some kind of soft brush or rag to clean soot out of it. While everything is out, tap the flange at the bottom of the flue pipe gently by placing a screwdriver on it and gently tapping it with a small hammer. Look for soot to fall out of the tube.

Finally, you need to check your gas pressure. Not hard. Here’s a link to instructions http://www.rverscorner.com/manometer.html
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Banned
    My Dometic is in a fifth wheel slide which doesn't use a chimney to exhaust the heat out the top. My unit has an electric fan that pushes air out the top of side vents. I put in new diagonal plywood above the coils which pushes the hot air straight out the vent, and my 2 door 8.5 cu. ft. fridge cools just great.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Probably a dirty burner tube or flue. Possible a bad LP regulator.

With it lit, take a look at the flame. You don’t want much yellow flame or black smoke.

Take the orifice out and clean it without using anything abrasive. Take the burner tube out and use some kind of soft brush or rag to clean soot out of it. While everything is out, tap the flange at the bottom of the flue pipe gently by placing a screwdriver on it and gently tapping it with a small hammer. Look for soot to fall out of the tube.

Finally, you need to check your gas pressure. Not hard. Here’s a link to instructions http://www.rverscorner.com/manometer.html
    My ac portion went out but revived the propane side doing just this.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

6. Member
    Thanks, I’ll check it tomorrow. I don’t think it’s the regulator as everything else on propane works well

I know my Cirrus TC refer in the past suffered from the same issue and it was because of the heat venting issue. They now are installing a small fan in the back to move hot air toward the vent. That seems to have been the ticket. My TC came with the fan.
    I am not delusional,
    I see all illusions!

8. Member
    Burner flame is tight and blue. Roof vent is unobstructed and the flue didn’t have any soot, looks new as it’s a 2016. I bought the camper used but don’t think it had very use with it’s first owner. I can feel heat coming out of roof vent area. There is no fan in the refrigerator and I noticed that when the refrigerator isn’t cold enough, the freezer compartment feels very cold. I guess I’ll put a thermometer in the freezer to be sure. Still trying to figure it out........

Did they put the fan in the outside cabinet where the burner is, or did it go inside the refrigerator? I’m sure part of the problem is a very dark colored RV and I’m in Florida.

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If venting was the problem, it would be a problem on electricity. Everything is exactly the same on electricity and propane except the heat source. If it works on AC and DC, your problem is the propane flame. If it looks good, you need to measure pressure.
    nothing else matters.​

10. Member
    Ok that’s next, thanks. If Pressure is off, then I’d need a regulator?
    In hindsight, I had it on A/C in the campground, then left the camper on the truck and launched the boat and went fishing. At that time I switched over to LP. When I got back from fishing the camper fridge was cool but not cold. Then I went back to campsite and plugged in. I don’t know how well it stays cold on a hot day just using electric. Guess I’ll need more testing. On LP at night I did get the fridge to 36 degrees by morning but then went to 52 by late afternoon the same day... This was testing in my yard
    Last edited by perfect-storm; 12-02-2018 at 06:37 PM.

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by perfect-storm View Post
    Ok that’s next, thanks. If Pressure is off, then I’d need a regulator?
    Yep. They are mostly junk.
    nothing else matters.​

Burner flame is tight and blue. Roof vent is unobstructed and the flue didn’t have any soot, looks new as it’s a 2016. I bought the camper used but don’t think it had very use with it’s first owner. I can feel heat coming out of roof vent area. There is no fan in the refrigerator and I noticed that when the refrigerator isn’t cold enough, the freezer compartment feels very cold. I guess I’ll put a thermometer in the freezer to be sure. Still trying to figure it out........

Did they put the fan in the outside cabinet where the burner is, or did it go inside the refrigerator? I’m sure part of the problem is a very dark colored RV and I’m in Florida.
    Fan is at the back side of the fridge drawing to the vent.
    I am not delusional,
    I see all illusions!

13. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I think I try hanging a fan to increase flow from the bottom to top vent and see if it helps. Air flow can be a problem in slides.
    nothing else matters.​

14. Member
    Tested electric, plenty cold even on a warm day. Disassembled the orifice and burner and cleaned out. They weren’t bad but a little soot in the burner. Couldn’t get anything to fall from flue but tapped on it and then blew through it with air tool. Testing gas one last time over the next 24 hours. Have not tested pressure yet because work keeps getting in the way of the things I enjoy.
    Still, if it doesn’t get cold on gas this time, I’ll probably have to get a regulator. Is it the same regulator you can buy at any grill place? Home Depot? No camper parts stores nearby. The one on my camper is plastic.

15. Member
    Ok realized it’s just covered. Anyhow, guess I have to figure out what regulator to buy. Any 2 stage that’s the same configuration?

16. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Before you spend money, I’d take the shield off and look at the flame. While watching it, have somebody light all the stove burners and see if the flame goes down. If the flame drops, it indicates a bad regulator. Do you have two tanks?
    nothing else matters.​

17. Member
    No, just one. Standard 20lb. Can it be the tank?
    Havent had enough time to pressure test it but process of elimination seemed easy. 24 hours on electric, warm day, got to 36 degrees. 22 hours on propane, cooler day by about 10-15 degrees and could only get to 46 degrees. That was after cleaning orifice and burner.
    Last edited by perfect-storm; 12-07-2018 at 05:43 AM.

18. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    No, just one. Standard 20lb. Can it be the tank?
    Havent had enough time to pressure test it but process of elimination seemed easy. 24 hours on electric, warm day, got to 36 degrees. 22 hours on propane, cooler day by about 10-15 degrees and could only get to 46 degrees. That was after cleaning orifice and burner.
    I asked about tanks because it changes the type of regulator you use. I’d get a Cavagna regulator designed for RV use. You’ll have to look at how yours mounts because there are differences in orientation and brackets.

I’d still check the flame with the stove. I don’t want to spend your money too freely
    nothing else matters.​

19. Member
    Ok, I’ll try that this weekend. Local RV place I called said gas on those refrigerators won’t get nearly as cold as on electric. Doesn’t sound logical to me.
    Thanks for your help.

20. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Ok, I’ll try that this weekend. Local RV place I called said gas on those refrigerators won’t get nearly as cold as on electric. Doesn’t sound logical to me.
    Thanks for your help.
    Almost everything on the refrigerator is the same on electric and gas. Only difference is the source of the heat that boils the ammonia/water mix. That’s why a low flame could cause less cooling. My guesses are low flame from a bad regulator/clogged orifice or the heat from the propane burner is making the area behind the refrigerator hotter, maybe because you don’t have a fan or it’s not working.
    nothing else matters.​