Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    robdy72

charger plugged in.

In the winter when you don't use your boat much, do you leave your charger plugged in or do you let it charge and unplug and just plug up occasionally?

2. robdy72
    Just saw the other thread on battery charger question, so disregard this question thanks.

3. Member
    Plugged in for me .

4. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Timer
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

5. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    Timer
    Me too. Day after Christmas is a great time to buy one for 75 percent off. Mine stays on the timer year round.

I charge my batteries once a month in the winter. No way I'm leaving a charger plugged in 24/7. The odds on something bad happening are small, but the consequences if it did would be huge.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Battery shut off and unplugged

8. Member
    Leave mine plugged in at all times. It goes into maintenance mode when the batteries are charged. Been doing this for years.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

9. Member
    Plug in twice a month over the winter, never a problem,
    2007 Z21 / 250 VMAX HPDI

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I charge my batteries once a month in the winter. No way I'm leaving a charger plugged in 24/7. The odds on something bad happening are small, but the consequences if it did would be huge.
    X2

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    Leave mine plugged in at all times. It goes into maintenance mode when the batteries are charged. Been doing this for years.
    Me to ....battery charger has it own timer built in .

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Unplugged eliminates any possibility of charger failure. Most all onboard chargers have a float mode to maintain batteries. In the event it fails your charger can overcharge a battery and cause a fire. The odds are very slim but there has been more than one document case where this has happened. In fact a few years ago one of our BBC members has his boat at his dad's house and the charger caused a fire after it had been sitting there several days in the float mode. After every use I unplug mine after its done charging or the next day. If for some reason I go 2-3 weeks without using the boat I plug them in and the charger typically kicks off within a minute. My boat is stored in my garage with easy access so this works good for my situation.

13. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Unplugged eliminates any possibility of charger failure. Most all onboard chargers have a float mode to maintain batteries. In the event it fails your charger can overcharge a battery and cause a fire. The odds are very slim but there has been more than one document case where this has happened. In fact a few years ago one of our BBC members has his boat at his dad's house and the charger caused a fire after it had been sitting there several days in the float mode. After every use I unplug mine after its done charging or the next day. If for some reason I go 2-3 weeks without using the boat I plug them in and the charger typically kicks off within a minute. My boat is stored in my garage with easy access so this works good for my situation.
    I remember that guy. There is no reason to leave plugged in 24/7. Love the guys who say they been doing it for years and no problem. It only takes one time folks. That thought process keeps me employed at the fire dept
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

14. Member
    I try to run the charger on mine about twice per month when I’m home or working in the yard or shop. If I know I’m fishing the next day I’ll definitely run it a while as well as when I get back. I’m not leaving a charger plugged in all the time-too much risk inlosing the little I have.

15. Member
    24/7 plugged in. Have a buddy that says it is hard on charger to leave plugged in, so he doesn't. He replaced his charger bought the same day as mine. Also my batteries last longer. I no longer own the boat the charger I speak of, however it sits on my property. That charger is close to 20 years old.

I usually run Wal Mart deep cycle batteries with 4 ot 5 year life and my boat is on the water over 130 days a year

16. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    So the more you use your charger the longer it lasts? Crazy but good to know!

17. Member
    I concur with RFSims that plugged in 24/7 most definitely extends the life of batteries, been doing it for years on camper, m/c, boats, etc. with great success. I am not on the water nearly as much as most of you but I have gotten over 7 years of service on some of my batteries. I have 4 boats, 2 big touring m/c's, and a camper that is included in this category. Just think, I don't even unplug my refrigerator when I leave the house. LOL

24/7 =365 days a year if I burn down boat house I get a new one .

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    I remember that guy. There is no reason to leave plugged in 24/7. Love the guys who say they been doing it for years and no problem. It only takes one time folks. That thought process keeps me employed at the fire dept
    Seeing as how my boat has been stored 50 miles from my house for the last 40 years, I will pay my insurance and hope you are not needed. If you are needed, I get a check and another boat.

P01135809

20. Member
    Only time I unplug mine is when it gets "bitter" cold. Then I unplug the charger and plug in a space heater at the back of the boat near the lower unit. Garage is not insulated. Otherwise........"moderately" cold temps it stays plugged in.
    2014 Ranger Z520C, Yamaha 250 SHO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast