Thread: Commute car

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Commute car

Got a f350 and expediton el looking at a “beater car” so to speak. Seen a lot of inventory of the vw Jetta diesels that were taken off the road. Dealers are fixing those recalls and starting to resell them. These cars are usually 2012 and have ranging from 35-55000 miles. Pick one up for 8 grand. Any thoughts

2. Member
    Wasn't anything really wrong with the VW's was there? Thought they just fudged the emissions. Hard to beat a Honda or Toyota for that purpose though if bought at the right price.

3. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    i think Honda ..............

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Wasn't anything really wrong with the VW's was there? Thought they just fudged the emissions. Hard to beat a Honda or Toyota for that purpose though if bought at the right price.

Ueah they lied about emissions

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    i think Honda ..............
    Nkt many low mileage Honda’s out there to buy that’s for sure

6. Member
    If your truck is paid for yes it makes sense. If not, the math never makes sense. Unless you plan to drive this beater for about 120 months to recover your (fuel costs).

Used, low mileage Hyundai / Kia. Their resale sucks (for the original buyer) but they are excellent, cheap transportation on the lower end models.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinSkinny View Post
    If your truck is paid for yes it makes sense. If not, the math never makes sense. Unless you plan to drive this beater for about 120 months to recover your (fuel costs).
    My wife and I will both drive it prolly put 10-12000 miles per year...

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lozbasser17 View Post
    Nkt many low mileage Honda’s out there to buy that’s for sure
    I'll have one after winter. Maybe April. 2010 Civic with 94,000. Wife's car. Bought new.

10. Member
    Honda that has upkeep records. Usually run for a long time.
    Praying for a Cure

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lozbasser17 View Post
    My wife and I will both drive it prolly put 10-12000 miles per year...
    Makes absolutely no sense! 10-12000 is nothing and you will not save any $$$ actually it would cost you $$$

12. Member
    I'd really advise against VW. The reason you see so many low mileage ones for sale is the reliability is terrible, like most Euro designed vehicles are. They can be fun to drive, but they will be in the shop much more often, on average. If you want something you won't have to work on, look at Toyota and maybe Honda first. Probably pay a bit of a premium compared to other brands, but there is a good reason for that.
    John

I drive 60 each way to work, now at one point I did 90miles each way. I have mostly used Honda's, one camary, Ranger. All worked great. The Ranger was given to at 100k, put 200k on it.
    Maintenance is the key with all.

14. Member
    Chevy Cruze

15. Member
    Honda Civic it’s no question. I have a 2012 with 190,000 miles on it and still drives like new. I put on 160k miles on it in 4 years and the only thing I’ve done maintenance wise is replace the tires twice, front brakes once, and do regular oil changes every 5,000miles. I still get 43mpg during the summer and 37mpg winter.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Be careful of Honda Civics in the 2006 to 2009 time frame. There was an issue with the blocks cracking and leaking coolant. If the block has been replaced, you're good to go, otherwise, keep looking.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Chevy Cruze
    Why not? Why doesn't anyone suggest buying American?

18. Member
    I was going to suggest an Impala. They will be right at 30 mpg on the road, price is reasonable for used . Get the 3.5. Plenty of room . Find an older one that has been taken care of and you can have a decent sized car that gets good mileage for 5k or less.
    GETFISHED !!!

19. Banned
    I wouldn't touch a Volkswagen product of any kind. There are few mechanics around that can work on those strangely engineered cars, and their special tools are unavailable outside of dealerships. I don't do dealership service departments of any kind.

My second 2012 Honda Civic SI is sitting in front of my house, and it's the second Civic SI my daughter's boyfriends have totaled out. Everyone talks so highly of Honda Civic durability, and we never had any problems with either SI. My biggest gripes are in the ride quality, the way seats are so close to the floor and all Hondas (including Accords) eat tires alive. I just don't find the Civics desirable to drive.

I was driving my 10 year old Lexus IS250 the other day, and it too has never seen the shop. The quality of that car's body work and upholstery is remarkable, and it's a fantastic $6,000 used car. Even at 110k miles, it has many more reliable miles left in it.

My latest ride is the 2018 Camry Hybrid--a 100% newly designed car, engine and drive system. It's a 48 mpg car @ 75 mph, and it too hasn't seen the shop in its first 25K miles. This hybrid is quite quick in acceleration, and it's simply the car of the future. It's so smooth and quiet running around town @ 45 mph on the electric motor. It wasn't terribly expensive @ $26K--much cheaper than the average 2018 cars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast