Thread: Gun Trust?

Gun Trust?

For those with suppressors and/or SBRs did you start a gun trust for these items?

2. Member
    That right there is why I never got into those. Way too much hassle. Would like to have a 22 suppressor but not willing to go through the hassle.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    That right there is why I never got into those. Way too much hassle. Would like to have a 22 suppressor but not willing to go through the hassle.
    You don't have to have one from my understanding but it simplifies things in some situations. You can will it to your spouse or children. I'm researching for now thinking of getting one before to long at least for my P22 and my try to build a SBR suppressed but that will be a good while from now. Figured there were plenty on here who know the ins and outs of it.

I have my NFA items on a trust. I paid a lawyer $300 to write mine. Some people write their own, but the ATF is pretty particular about some of the legal wording. At one time it was a good way to go because you didn't have to send fingerprint cards and photos every time you applied for another item. And you could add people like family members to the trust so they could also possess the items. Now, every person on the trust has to submit fingerprints and photographs. The main advantage of a trust now is that you do not have to pay a transfer fee to pass NFA items down to other members of the trust if you die or are no longer able to own them.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ss View Post
    I have my NFA items on a trust. I paid a lawyer $300 to write mine. Some people write their own, but the ATF is pretty particular about some of the legal wording. At one time it was a good way to go because you didn't have to send fingerprint cards and photos every time you applied for another item. And you could add people like family members to the trust so they could also possess the items. Now, every person on the trust has to submit fingerprints and photographs. The main advantage of a trust now is that you do not have to pay a transfer fee to pass NFA items down to other members of the trust if you die or are no longer able to own them.
    That's kind of what I gathered from my research. A buddy was telling me that his family started a trust for suppressors and the only had to do an initial background check, fingerprint, picture on the initial purchase and that was it now they all do with each purchase.

If you think you will only have one or two suppressors, I wouldn't bother with a trust. Even though I have a trust, if I buy or build any more NFA items, I will probably just file my forms as an individual rather than the trust because it will be less hastle.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ss View Post
    If you think you will only have one or two suppressors, I wouldn't bother with a trust. Even though I have a trust, if I buy or build any more NFA items, I will probably just file my forms as an individual rather than the trust because it will be less hastle.
    I do not agree with this statement. The first 2 suppressors I bought as an individual. That was several yrs back. My daughter and her husband cannot be in possession of these. When I die those suppressors will haveto go through another round of paperwork and tax stamps repurchased. The last 2 suppressors and my SBR went through my trust. My daughter is on my trust so she can be in legal possession of these items. When I die, she can take possession of these items legally without paperwork or adittional tax stamps. I pd $99 for my trust through nfalawyers.com (pretty sure but cood pull paperwork to confirm). Was as easy as eatn the 2nd Nutty bar.

8. Member
    I think I've decided to build a 10.3 pistol then get the stamp afterwards for a SBR so I can enjoy my build while waiting on the paperwork, suppressor will come later

9. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I am on my son's trust for his suppressors.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

10. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    It may be a little more trouble now, but a trust is the way to go. In the event of your demise, do you want friends and/ or family stuck with unregistered NFA items?
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

11. Banned
    A trust is the way to go should something happen to you. My wife is on it and we own quite a few suppressors, SBR's, SBS's, AOW's and a couple F/A's. If something happened to either one of us we're covered. If you don't have a trust and you pass you're items will need to be relinquished to the BATFE, or they'll need to go back to a dealer while a family member waits for the forms to be processed.

Trusts are very easy these days. Most any Class 3 dealer has all the needed, properly worded paperwork to start a trust. Silencer Shop can also help you start a trust easily. It's not like the days of old where you needed a lawyer.

12. Member
    Trust is the way to go. All my silencers and SBRs are on a trust. My wife and father are on the trust, so either one of them can legally be in possession of the items. The trust lays out that the items will go to my children if something happens to us, and my dad will be the guardian of the items until my kids are 21.
    While technically everyone on the trust now has to have photos and fingerprints when submitting paperwork to ATF, removing people from the trust, and then adding them back in later is easy enough to do and requires no approvals other than a notary.
    2018 Ranger Z185
    Yamaha 150 SHO w/ Tempest 23P
    Ultrex 80 Link
    Helix 10MDI & 12MSI G2N at console
    Helix 10 M+DI G4N w/ M360 and Garmin 93 w/ LiveScope at bow
    Atlas Jackplate
    12' Talons