Rod Shipping Cost

Can someone please tell me the route I need to go to ship a rod nowadays? I haven't shipped one in a while but USPS told me today that I can't ship it with them because it exceeds length max. UPS told me it was going to cost $189 to ship.

It used to cost between $25-$35 to ship a rod. What is going on? What am I doing wrong?

2. Member
    Cut the tube down. That’s the only way around it. We have to do it almost daily.

3. Member
    If you keep the tube length 96" or less you're fine. Over that the price goes up by 10x

4. Member
    Thank you guys!

5. Banned
    Just shipped a rod through UPS. Down here, it has to be below 90", otherwise it is ridiculous.

6. Member
    I got the same thing from UPS last year - wanted like $149 shipped to three states away. I told him that he was nuts. Went to FEDEX instead and it was shipped for 30 bucks.

Rod shipping prices (or shipping prices in general maybe) has gone up this year - I used to ship rods for $22-25 iirc via UPS, now it cost me $30-35. That's a 94" tube. USPS won't even take them via Pri Mail anymore, Parcel Post only, and even then that's over $100 as already mentioned. USPS just doesn't want to ship rods I guess lol.

I recently received a used rod (7'1") from a guy, he sent me a screenshot of USPS tracking receipt, and the cost was around $15 and was Priority Mail.. .I was like HTF did he do that, then I noticed he used the Pri Mail "Med Flat Rate Box" rate - not sure how he got away with it, but I had the rod 2 days later. If you use Paypal Shipping, it defaults to Pri Mail Med Flat Rate box, so maybe he just accepted the default instead of changing it, not sure.

I recall a few years ago I tried to ship a rod USPS Pri Mail, and my mailman brought it back to me the next day lol - they said sorry can't ship this too big. :(

8. Member
    I’m in California and shipping to Florida is about $25 bucks via usps priority.

9. Banned
    I ship 7ft'ers, insured, anywhere in country for under $30

10. Member
    $18ish buying your shipping label through paypal.

11. Member
    I’ve have had better luck using the USPS Click-N-Ship option online. I’ve sometimes been quoted more in store compared to printing the label online. Like stated above, price skyrockets at a certain length. I’ve paid anywhere between $15-$35 before insurance. I’ve had to file claims as well due to damage during transit and USPS has made good on it (Rod tubes visibly dented/bent), so I’ve stuck with them.

Shipping up to 8 ft tubes go to USPS.com and purchase.

13. Member
    7'rod USPS between 24.00 & 30.00 Depending on your tube.

14. Member
    If your in an area served by SpeeDee Delivery its usually under 10 bucks.
    Please release me,let me go.

15. Member
    Just shipped a 4.1lb tube 82" long by 4" diameter via USPS Priority (cheapest) was $31. This was from NJ to NC. Last time I shipped via USPS it was $13. That was a broken road so the tube was less then 80".

I recall them saying anything over 80" tube is extra cost.

16. Member
    There is a postage calculator in the USPS web site. Have your weight, measurements, and destination zip code ready and just fill in the blanks. It will give you different postage’s you can use from the numbers you put in.

17. Member
    Just cut the rod in half. It will be cheaper. Lol. I use FedEx. Most times around $25. Cost $43 from SC to Canada.