Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    UPDATE

Mechanic ran boat on the lake today got up to 5600 rpm with a new battery, ran several trips up and down the lake and motor had power loss as before at WOT. Installed separate fuel take with the same results. Next chore is to go through the VST tank and look for any air gasket leakage or bad O rings etc.

2. Member
    UPDATE

Mechanic checked out complete VST assembly nothing damaged i.e.: O rings, gasket etc. Ordered a new mid unit fuel pump today.

Two lower mechanical pumps work fine tested and checked, High pressure pump putting out required PSI. Mid unit fuel pump vibrating during test.

Last time I ran the lake I felt a vibration as well however it was very slight. Very hard to fix these things when it is an intermittent problem.
    Last edited by richierich1; 12-13-2018 at 10:31 AM.

3. Member
    Hamilton Pump 2.jpgHamilton Pump 3.jpgHamilton Pump 1.jpgUpdate

Had high pressure pump redone as well as fuel injectors. Mechanic installed pump and fuel injectors and ran boat today at the lake and it ran WOT @5750 RPM much better than ever with no surging issues. HPDI pump had some rust, water and black particles which were probably fuel line disintegration. Having three fuel lines replaced tomorrow from VST to High pressure pump even though the lines look fine inside and out, the black particles came from somewhere.

Hope my journey helped anyone out there and thanks to the folks who made several key suggestions.

Respectfully, Rich
    Last edited by richierich1; 01-03-2019 at 09:32 PM.

4. Member
    Thanks for the update. Been waiting to hear back. Sounds like you're on the right track.

5. Member
    Thanks for the encouragement! Fished a tournament today and motor ran like it was brand new. I have more appreciation for my boat now more than ever :)

6. Randy Walker
    So it's all fixed then? besides having some new fuel lines, which is recommended by many due to the breakdown of the inside of the lines. So did the tech rebuild the HP pump or ?? I see you're in CA... who's your mechanic? I've been having the same issue for 2 years and my tech finally gave up on it after doing all kinds of testing and replacing of parts and such. With your drop in RPM's I'm sure your speed dropped as well. I had rebuild of #1 and #2 done and had problem ever since. Now just fouling 1 plug but loss of speed from 70 MPH to 58pm and max of 4800rpm's

7. Member
    Good morning Randy,

My motor is in fact all fixed. So the 250 HPDI has four pumps and the culprit was the high pressure pump.

We sent the High pressure pump as well as the injectors to Injector R/X in Texas and John the tech rebuilt the pump. https://www.injectorrx.com That company is very dialed in. My mechanic is Al from Bob's marine in Modesto. Al never gave up and along with the owner Bill they busted their butts to get me back on the water.

I would give John a call at InjectorR/X and pick his brain. From what I have been told the High pressure pump can in fact cause problems at starting and like in our case top end problems. Prior to having the pump rebuilt ($700 for the large pump) we did all the typical trail and error stuff you hear about or read about on the forums. All four pumps preformed as they should under test and computer conditions but once out on the water the low speed and RPM problem raised its ugly head time and time again until that High pressure pump was rebuilt.

Everything you explained about your motor sounds just like the problems I was having. My motor has not yet been rebuilt and has 350 hours on it. I talked with another guy from Texas last night who is having the exact issues we are. I don't blame any mechanic for giving up on this thing because it is such an intermittent problem and without actually running it WOT on the lake you can't diagnose it in a tank or computer situation. Please give Bill a call at Bob marine http://www.bobsmarine-ca.com , after working through my nightmare I feel Al the mechanic there can fix anything! Good luck! RR
    Last edited by richierich1; 01-09-2019 at 08:58 AM.

8. Randy Walker
    Very good info... thanks much sir. I actually emailed InjectorR/X last night on a whim after seeing they work on HP pumps. Thanks for contact info from Al's / Bill's contact info as well. Much appreciated!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12