Thread: Motor Mate ?

Motor Mate ?

I may be repowering from a 250 Pro XS 2 stroke to a 300 Pro XS 4 stroke. Will my motor mate I'm currently using for the 250 2 Stroke work with the 300 4 stroke ? I'm just trying to make sure I have what I need on the actual day I repower and don't get an inconvenient surprise.
    GETFISHED !!!

2. mikesxpress
    Mods to make it work along with steering clips are on here.

3. Member
    OK now if I can just find them. Don't want to get this hung on my boat and then no way to get home.
    GETFISHED !!!

4. Member
    I just picked up a Motor mate for my 250 Pro ax’s 4s that works in the last hole in the stern bracket and the plastic pads sit on the trim pads. When I get home today I will remove the stock plastic pads and install rounded ones made of Acetel. You will also need steering clips.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

5. Member
    Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I can use my existing motormate with a bit of modification. I already have a pair of steering clips.
    GETFISHED !!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    I just picked up a Motor mate for my 250 Pro ax’s 4s that works in the last hole in the stern bracket and the plastic pads sit on the trim pads. When I get home today I will remove the stock plastic pads and install rounded ones made of Acetel. You will also need steering clips.
    Which model motor mate did you happen to pick up?

7. Member
    The one that is listed for the 250 Pro Xs 2s
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    The one that is listed for the 250 Pro Xs 2s
    Thanks!

9. mikesxpress
    Use your Otpi Motormate and save a few $.
    Based on my experience Motormate is going to have an impossible task of securing these V8 engines like they did with the Opti's. But being as many of us already have the Motormate I elected to utilize it with mods and the Gatorlocks available from Gatorbak.

http://gatorbak.com/search.php?search_query_adv=Locks

Remove the plastic inserts on the Motormate. It takes a vise/pipe wrench/etc to almost destroy them to get them out. The pipe end is 1" OD & 7/8" ID. I have temporarily installed plastic caps that fit while I wait for my order of black HD solid silicone metal furniture leg plugs. The Motormate now goes into the 2nd hole vs the 3rd hole in on the engine bracket to get the same ground distance as with the Opti. The capped end fits snuggly on the rear engine support trapped inside on the flat as shown in the picture. It can't move up due to the weight applied and trim piston and can't drop down due to the width of that flat pocket I have the caps sitting in.
    I have now trailered with this setup since July 2018 and it works fine. This also eliminates previous concerns about trim cylinder seal damages associated with the use of sticks/pipes as well as SeaStar seal damage associated with the use of the hard plastic clips that break when it's cold or whenever they feel like it.

Last edited by mikesxpress; 10-12-2019 at 08:46 AM.

10. mikesxpress
    Update.
    Received the hard press fit furniture caps. These appear to be the best ones to mod the Motormate for the 4 stroke as they fit snug in the tube and also fit in the engine bracket pocket perfectly.

Feet Cap Glides to Fit 7/8 Hole Protect Floor 16 Black 601B
    https://ebay.us/dJrwdd

11. Member
    Thank you . I will do this also. Appreciate you sharing this.

As an afterthought, what type of material are these feet cap glides made from ? Any idea ?

Do you like the ones you ordered better than the ones in the first pics ?
    Last edited by getfished; 12-02-2018 at 08:41 AM.
    GETFISHED !!!

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    great mod and tip sure beats buying some of the wayyyy more expensive and overpriced solutions that are coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    great mod and tip sure beats buying some of the wayyyy more expensive and overpriced solutions that are coming out.
    Especially if your existing motormate still looks like new and is in perfect condition. Pretty slick for sure.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

14. mikesxpress
    Motormates are pretty durable. A little attention to the paint once in awhile and they always look like new. Mine is 5 years old, and being retired it gets used allot more than the weekender folks.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Adding into the FAQ in hopes that folks will check there in the future.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

16. Member
    Works Like A Charm!

Motor Mate Mod.jpg
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

17. Member
    Had my new 4s installed last week, picked up the rite hite motor support and steering clips simply for the price point and the fact that I had to pull it back over 10 hours, I am actually really happy with the way it works. The cushioned support at the top conforms very easily to the curved “trim pad” area. Will probably switch out the hard plastic steering clips for some rubber ones but other than that, I think it’s gonna be hard to find better support for anywhere near this price.

18. Member
    Lowes has the press-in style furniture caps in the specialty fitting drawers in the nuts/bolts isle.
    2008 Tr 21X- 2018 250 Mercury Pro XS 4S
    2B595479

19. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by flatsboy View Post
    Works Like A Charm!

Motor Mate Mod.jpg