Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Installing MercMonitor/What did you do with Analog Gauges???

For those who have installed a MercMonitor, what did you do with the Analog gauges?

Did you keep them installed? Remove and plug dash holes? Unhook wiring and leave gauges in place?

**For reference, I have a 2003 Optimax 225**

Any practical advice and experience is appreciated.

dh

2002 Ranger 620VS
    Mercury Optimax 225HP
    2003 Optimax Powerhead (0T648533)

Last edited by darleyhavidson; 12-08-2018 at 02:03 PM.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I had dual gauges, Speed w/fuel and voltage and other was RPM w/trim & water pressure.....i removed the RPM gauge since the MM gives that info along with trim (with digital connection) and water pressure.....other gauge stayed and still functions....

That is on a Phoenix boat...
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

I replaced the speedo and left all the analog gauges in place. I eventually got tired of the redundancy so I yanked out all th analog gauges and replaced them with digital Systemlink gauges. Here is a link to that thread.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....emoving+analog

I did the exact same thing on my new boat too. I like having real numbers based on what the PCM is seeing.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    08 Stratos 201, removed all guages and wiring, don't need any more. Had to keep gas guage. Used plugs to fit hole from C&O Marine. Be sure to check the fit of plugs often, they get loose and come out. I put a touch of silcone on lip to hold in place. If ordering plugs get one extra per hole size for when it blows out going to boat ramp. Love my mointer for alarms, get instant results. Level One

Replaced speedo on mine and kept all the rest
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

6. Member
    Removed all gauges, replaced with system links and rebuilt entire dash for dual 9" setup.

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I replaced the speedo and left all the analog gauges in place. I eventually got tired of the redundancy so I yanked out all th analog gauges and replaced them with digital Systemlink gauges. Here is a link to that thread.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....emoving+analog

I did the exact same thing on my new boat too. I like having real numbers based on what the PCM is seeing.
    Thanks for the info. That was a nice setup you ended up with.

Thanks everyone for your input and advice. It is much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranko201 View Post
    08 Stratos 201, removed all guages and wiring, don't need any more. Had to keep gas guage. Used plugs to fit hole from C&O Marine. Be sure to check the fit of plugs often, they get loose and come out. I put a touch of silcone on lip to hold in place. If ordering plugs get one extra per hole size for when it blows out going to boat ramp. Love my mointer for alarms, get instant results. Level One
    Do you have a picture of your dash you can post?

10. Member

Dash

Hope this helps someone
    Last edited by Cranko201; 12-03-2018 at 09:12 PM.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    ^^^This^^^

12. Member
    Cranko201 did you have to remove your console shroud to access your gauges on the far right. I have a Stratos and access to my WP gauge is nearly impossible. My gauges are single file to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    How did you cap off or remove the hose from the back of speedometer?

14. Member
    I did, also I might add, I changed over from e tec to Mercuy by myself, now that was a job to get done. Made it better to add correct harness.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darleyhavidson View Post
    How did you cap off or remove the hose from the back of speedometer?
    Disconnected the hose at the lower unit, or plug it a screw under the dash.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranko201 View Post
    I did, also I might add, I changed over from e tec to Mercuy by myself, now that was a job to get done. Made it better to add correct harness.
    That is what I just had done. I was able to find a new 200 ProXS to replace my 2004 200 HO Evinrude. I had the dealer install a Smartcraft Tach and Speedo. I ran the boat Sunday to start the break-in procedure. My speedo did not function so I took it back to the dealer to investigate. I loved the new Smartcraft Tach. I am debating on adding a WP gauge, trim gauge etc to work with the large gauge. In reality I don't think I need them. I am hoping to be able to indicate fuel usage on the speedometer when they get that functioning.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you have functional analog gauges- you can leave them in place. Some items you might add to Smartcraft may affect an analog instrument (unknown what engine, so can't be of much help there).

Please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements, and update with the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If you have functional analog gauges- you can leave them in place. Some items you might add to Smartcraft may affect an analog instrument (unknown what engine, so can't be of much help there).

Please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements, and update with the Required Info when posting. Thanks!
    I hadn't heard that analog gauges could be affected. I have a 2002 Ranger 620VS with a
    Mercury Optimax 225HP (2003 Optimax Powerhead/0T648533).
    Could you elaborate on if any of my analog gauges would be impacted by adding MercMonitor and/or System Link gauges?

A good example of what Don is talking about is the trim system. If you added a digital trim sender to get trim data to the Mercmonitor, you would disable the analog trim gauge in the console. You can easily fix this by adding a Systemlink trim gauge.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    A good example of what Don is talking about is the trim system. If you added a digital trim sender to get trim data to the Mercmonitor, you would disable the analog trim gauge in the console. You can easily fix this by adding a Systemlink trim gauge.
    Thanks for providing an example. BTW, I sent you a PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast