Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar

Question Jig Organization

Hey Guys, need some advice on how to store my jigs. I have about 60 jigs/swim jigs that I keep in my box. I’m a little...OCD so my box needs to be where I can find what I need when I need it. I keep my boxes together, labeled...they look like this

I haven’t found a good way to keep my jigs however. They’re in my jig/frog box like this

Drives me a little nuts that I can’t find the size, weight, color I want when I need it. Any Suggestions? Thanks, Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

2. Banned
    Not sure how much of a help Chris. I have a dedicated 3700 jig box. I put the heaviest in the back. Light colors left getting darker to the right. Keep coming forward with lighter weights and color the same. Lightest weight jigs in front. But I'm anal about my jigs

I carry no more than 20. 1/2, 3/8, & 1/4 in black/blue or green pumpkin. Each color in 3 styles...Arkie style, swim jigs, and Mop jigs. I store each style in its own ziplock bag.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    I keep mine in planos , one I call it my hot box with my favorites in it and 2 more with stuff I don’t use every time ! Highly reccomend drilling few holes top and bottom to let it breathe . Don’t put wet jigs with trailers back in it !

5. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Thanks, that’s a very good point about putting some breathing holes in it. I try to let my jigs dry on the deck before I put them away but inevitably it will happen. I also hate, but do take any trailers off so they don’t rust the hooks.

I’ve never kept more than 20 on me as I throw the same 2-3 jigs all the time it seems, but I got 40 for $40 from a seller on here and there’s a lot of different ones I want to throw and see how they do. How could I pass that up for $1/jig?!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badboyjigs View Post
    I keep mine in planos , one I call it my hot box with my favorites in it and 2 more with stuff I don’t use every time ! Highly reccomend drilling few holes top and bottom to let it breathe . Don’t put wet jigs with trailers back in it !
    I just buy mine from Mark( the owner of bad boy jigs) & keep them in the bags he puts them in & toss them in the front storage with the other 20 or so bags i've already got in there. Makes for good amount of speed loss in your boat as well so the chine walking won't throw you out.
    Last edited by Les Young; 12-01-2018 at 02:04 PM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
    Not sure how much of a help Chris. I have a dedicated 3700 jig box. I put the heaviest in the back. Light colors left getting darker to the right. Keep coming forward with lighter weights and color the same. Lightest weight jigs in front. But I'm anal about my jigs
    I do the same and get a label maker, makes everything easy. You can even label the weights in ach compartment f you nee to. If you fish them a lot, you probably know what size is what but a label maker makes everything easy to label.

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Thanks Guys, they’re gonna have to get their own box, no frogs allowed. It seems 90% are either 1/4 or 3/8ths oz. I was getting popped on a 1/4 with a Rage Tail Sunday til a mudfish actually destroyed my jig, keeper, even ate one of its eyes! I hate those things!!

There are maybe 4 primary colors as well. All of this organization just shows me what I’m lacking!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I carry no more than 20. 1/2, 3/8, & 1/4 in black/blue or green pumpkin. Each color in 3 styles...Arkie style, swim jigs, and Mop jigs. I store each style in its own ziplock bag.
    This is the best way I found also and takes up very little room. I also put my trailers right a big gallon zip lock along with the jigs.

10. Member
    I keep around 50 or so under my center lid using the Cooks Tackle bars, and three additional 3700 series boxes with double wide spaces
    Attached Images Attached Images

I keep all my jigs in 2 3700 series Bass Mafia boxes. one has Jigs 1/2 oz or bigger and the other is lighter than 1/2oz.
    here I use jigs in lots of different sizes from 3/16 to 1 oz and multiple colors depending on what water clarity is in the lake at the time it might be dirty with 6" of visibility where ill mainly use a black and blue or super clear where you have to have more natural colors
    I probabluy have over 100 jigs in the boat at all times

12. Member
    I use Plano 3700 spinner bait boxes. One for footballs, one for finesse, one for flipping, etc. I have different weights in each row and they stay in place and very organized even with trailers on. The spinner bait divider holds them perfectly right between the head and skirt.

13. Member
    It seems like using more dividers and some small labels would go a long way in helping?

14. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I wanted to have them all fit for the time being, but once I dumped them all out I realized I really had 4-5 basic colors and 3-4 sizes. So I first assorted them by color, then by size. Now I have put the dividers back in and moved the frogs to a different box.

Now my jigs have their own spaces for weight & color.

Thanks guys, and yes I did drill a few holes in the top of the box so the air will flow. I went to put one away on Sunday and let it sit in front of my console until it was dry

Thanks for the help!

15. Member
    I use 1/4" dental rubber bands slipped over the skirts. You can paint the bands a different color with a magic marker for different weights. Get the rubber bands off Ebay.
    LEGEND ALPHA 199DCX / 225 PRO XS MERCURY