Thread: Budget Scopes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Budget Scopes

I use .243 for deer season and my rifle came with a scope. I honestly don't even know what kind it is. I am wanting to replace it with something a little better. What is best say 3-9x40 or 50 for $100 or $150 or less? I get the whole "you get what you pay for" but I don't hunt huge fields or anything. My max shot may be 200 yards. doubt I would try a shot at 300 yards......
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

Look at Styrka scopes, bought a 3x9x40 yesterday. I was pretty impressed with the quality of the glass, great reviews too. I got the cheaper level one as a backup scope. Around $180 on the internet. I bought mine from a rep so I got to handle it and spent a good deal of time looking through it. Mine has side focus, which is nice and handy.
    Mine is an S5 model. It also has a lifetime transferable warranty.
    Last edited by Stompy; 11-30-2018 at 04:00 PM.

3. Member
    go to "wish". never heard of it until the other day. look at Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50. my kid said he ordered one of these and it is the real deal. dont't know how it could be for that price, but he insist it is and works great. the guy at bass pro said NO WAY

Any Leupold scope is a good one. They also make Redfield scopes too. Redfields are the budget of Leupold.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    Redfields been pretty good to me

6. Member
    Bass Pro had a Nikon 3x9x40 with bdc for $99 and Academy has the Nikon 4x12x40 with bdc $110. Lower end Leupold are ok, have a couple of them. Look at the UTG scopes, bought one for a AR15 that I set up for the grandkids. Have not had it long enough to see how it holds up but has a lot of neat features.

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    The Nikon Buckmasters scopes are in that price range for a 3-9 40mm. If you can get a Leupold VX-2 or VX-3 in the size you want I wouldn’t hesitate. I love every Leupold I have.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

8. Member
    Derek...call Doug at https://cameralandny.com/ and tell him what you are needing. He is very helpful and will go the extra mile to help you. He has 1000's of satisfied customers and I am one of them (no, I don't get a cut from him). But call during business hours. He sponsors some of the hunting/shooting websites I frequent and is well thought of on those sites. If in doubt, go to 24 hr. campfire. Great guy to deal with and handles everything from lower end optics to the high $$ ones. Tell him M77 Shooter from the Campfire sent you.

If that doesn't interest you, I agree with the Leupold/Redfield guys. Can't go wrong with those, but you will have a hard time finding a new Leupold for the 150 or less in that configuration. Unless you find one at a pawn shop. My buddy who owns a pawn shop sells take off Leupolds in 3-9x40 in VX-1 or 2 many times for $100. Of course, if it is one of those Leupold models that come with a lifetime warranty and even if you are not the original owner they will take care of it. Good luck with whatever you get and have a blessed day...Eddie

9. Member
    I paid $159 for a Leupold Rifleman (shipped). Haven't used it a whole lot but it seems decent. VX-2 is on my deer rifle but I've never seen them for $150

10. Banned
    Do a search of these should be able to find a good one $100-200 range.Optic Planet has good deals going on now.

Leupold
    Redfield
    Vortex
    Nikon
    Simmons

11. Member
    Definitely get the budget leupold model.

I read that redfield is made by leupold
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

Put one of those Redfield 3x9x50s on my 308 Browning a few years back and it's been nothing short of spectacular, just like the original Redfield that my dad bought for it when he gave it to me back in the early 90s. Which I still have and is on a 22 auto in the safe...

I think this thing is called a Redfield revolution and I paid right around a buck 60 for it.. bought it the first year I believe they came back out and put it on this gun the year I tore my shooting shoulder up and needed to go back to him rifle that had less of a kick to it because I was shooting wrong handed and I zeroed it in that year wrong handed and I haven't touched the sights on it since...
    Last edited by mrlawler1; 12-01-2018 at 12:12 PM.
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

Vortex crossfire and redfield are good scope

15. Member
    Leupold American Marksman. Great scope and Cabelas has it on sale for $159

16. Member
    That's not a BAR is it. LOL

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cripplesnake View Post
    Looks like it to me.

What do you think it is?
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

19. Member

20. Member
    go to "wish". never heard of it until the other day. look at Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50. my kid said he ordered one of these and it is the real deal. dont't know how it could be for that price, but he insist it is and works great. the guy at bass pro said NO WAY
    They are far from real Leupolds. A buddy of mine bought a couple, one crapped out in less than a year not sure if they other one is still kicking or not.

I prescribe to buy once, cry once. All of my scopes are Leupolds of different sizes and flavors. I haven't had one let me down up to this point and I know if one does they will take care of it. I would look at a Leopold VX-I for what you are wanting to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast