Horn Output smartcraft alarm

Quote Originally Posted by Teeg4 Original Post
    1B736923
    2009 mercury 225 pro xs

I’m getting a “Horn Output” alarm on my smartcraft.

Previously I could turn the key on and get a quick tone and then another 2 second long tone around 2 seconds later. The letters ‘AL” would appear on my smartcraft display blinking in the top right corner. If I listened very carefully I could hear a very faint solid tone that was continuous coming from behind the switch panel.

Today I tried to find the root of this problem, I came across the alarm sensor (which is connected by a purple wire and a tan with blue stripe wire) and pulled it out slightly to get better access to it once I figured out that was where the solid faint tone was coming from. After I did this I turned the key off. When I turned the key back on I did not get a tone until 2 seconds later at which time I heard the approx 2 second long tone which I described as the 2nd tone I would hear described above. This is when I saw the “Horn Output” wording on the smartcraft display for the first time. Is it possible that this alarm sensor is bad or that I damaged it? I’ve already checked the wiring harness plug at the motor and all the pins seem to be clean and tight.

also to add, I changed from a lowrance HDs 5 unit to a lowrance HDS 9 gen 2 touch unit sometime back without changing out the power wire. The analog gauge that received signal from the smartcraft (trim, water pressure, speed needles) quit reading the speed signal and the needle would just sway back and forth while the other 2 were working. I’m not sure if this has anything to do with my problem above or not.

and...this is actually a new to me motor which I just had installed. All the problems I described above persisted with my old motor the same way...except that I’m not getting a trim signal to my gauge anymore with this new to me motor.

lots of things going on with this and I’m a little lost so any help would be appreciated.
    Put original post back up for followup info on what the cause was.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 12-03-2018 at 10:39 AM.
    2008 Champion 200 Elite / 225 ProXs

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Teeg4- did you possibly have a bad warning horn (or had someone moved the horn to the Smartcraft Harness)?

Good idea to follow up with information on what the resolution was... this may help someone else in the future.

Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks for reposting, I thought I had this solved but my original problem still persists. I have 2 alarm buzzers, one on my key switch and one is part of my smartcraft wiring harness. I replaced the key switch buzzer bc the wires were corroded and half broken and the “horn output” alarm on the smartcraft went away and the tone now sounds when I turn the key. However, I’m still getting a 2nd tone upon startup of the gauges from the 2nd sensor on the smartcraft harness. After startup I’m getting a very faint solid tone on my keyswitch buzzer with the words “speed comm err” on my smartcraft gauge with the speed needle swaying back and forth on the other gauge. The way I understand it is that the smartcraft gauge sends the speed, trim, and water pressure data to the other gauge, the trim and water pressure needles work but the speed does not. I figure I either have a bad gauge, a bad wiring harness, or I’m just not understanding how that gauge gets speed information. I thought maybe the speed information is sent by the gps and I just don’t have the HDs 9 wires connected correctly?

i disconnected the speed gauge and still get the faint solid tone on the keyswitch buzzer.

i know this is probably getting outside of the motor forum at this point.
    Last edited by Teeg4; 12-06-2018 at 07:11 PM.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Ok- let's back up and get a little info:

1. Which Smartcraft Instruments do you have (Picture and Version Number that displays on the face when powering up probably best identification).

2. How LONG have you had these installed (days, weeks, months or years)? If less then years, where did they come from?

3. Do you have the Mercury Optional Smartcraft DEPTH Transducer installed (BIG unit connected directly into the engine diagnostic port)?

4. Have you made an Changes to the settings or calibration setups in your Smartcraft Instrument recently?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Ok- let's back up and get a little info:

1. Which Smartcraft Instruments do you have (Picture and Version Number that displays on the face when powering up probably best identification).

2. How LONG have you had these installed (days, weeks, months or years)? If less then years, where did they come from?

3. Do you have the Mercury Optional Smartcraft DEPTH Transducer installed (BIG unit connected directly into the engine diagnostic port)?

4. Have you made an Changes to the settings or calibration setups in your Smartcraft Instrument recently?

1. They gauges are made by Actia I believe, blue faces gauges branded with the Champion logo
    2. They are original to the boat, 2008
    3. I do not
    4. No.

The only thing I've changed is the gps unit and power harness. Lowrance LMS520 was the original gps unit installed, 3 wires of which only the yellow wire was butt connected to one of the green smartcraft wires. New wiring harness for hds 9 has 4 wires, yellow, blue, orange and green.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Actia utilize some Smartcraft Circuitry, but are entirely different than the Smartcraft Instrument family. Can't help much with them other than refitting with Smartcraft (which we do quite commonly).

Only ONE horn should be present, on the keyswitch harness, connected to a purple and a tan w/blue stripe wire. That's it. This horn should sound a test beep at keyup- any other warning tone is an indication of faults/problems.