Question Big O in early March

The time has finally come, so I'll be pulling the Gambler from Louisiana down to lake O early March. I would like to maximize the two days that I'll be fishing with my partner.
    Areas that I see regularly come up on this thread are the monkey box and harney pond. If you would put your two cents in on suggestions such as:
    -Fishing areas that time of the year
    -Depths to be fishing
    -Safe running locations
    -Areas to NOT run--don't want to lose my lower
    -good launching locations
    -any general or specific advice
    -etc.

I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
    -Thomas
    1997 Gambler Intimidator II
    2015 Mercury Pro XS 200 HP

2. Member
    If you have never been there my advice would be to hire a guide for at least one day.
    They are in tune to the current fishing conditions and with them you will learn what not to do.
    It will be well worth the money spent.No way you will be able to figure anything out in 2 days on your own because it is a huge body of water and everything looks so good.
    The fishing should be great but it fishes small for a lake of it's size.
    And there are many rock piles, shoals, and other navigation hazzards all over the lake to worry about. I am not trying to downplay your idea of doing it alone but intimidation will set in if you have never been.
    99% of fishing is done shallow (1'-4')
    The water is low now and the Big O shows no mercy to lower units.

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I can’t help but wonder what the water level will be in March? Are they going to let it go down low again? I think we are going to actually have a winter based on the current fronts actually making it to us...which they almost never do in November.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

4. Member
    It will depend on what the water level is. Honestly its not as bad as it sounds, just have to be smart about it. I would stick to harney pond and monkey box. Plenty of fish in those areas and no need to go venturing anywhere else. Find the other boats and drop the trolling motor. Florida fishing 101...
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    Never stop believing and never stop chasing your dreams.
    Galatians 6:9

www.kgfishing.com

USCG Licensed and Insured Fishing Guide - Lake Murray and Clarks Hill

5. Member
    I was at the Monkey Box a few weeks ago bunch of boats in there. Was a Dinkfest. We did better around Tin House.

6. Member
    Guys, this is very helpful so far. We will most likely hire a guide the first day then fish the next.
    1997 Gambler Intimidator II
    2015 Mercury Pro XS 200 HP