Thread: Best Time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Time

What is the best time of year to list a boat for sale in the Michigan area? Don't want to list it when people are not in buying mode.

Thanks

2. Member
    Early spring..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

Spring is good time, but from my experience anytime before winter. I have bought boats in September so I would have time through the winter to get it fixed up or rigged up the way I want.
    Kyle Frick
    FrickerDude
    Frick-N-Fishin' Baits

4. Member
    You will get the most attention in the early spring; March through May. Asking prices generally are a bit higher so it’s a good time to sell however if you are selling to upgrade, you may want to sell now at a slightly lower price so you can get a better deal in the off season on your next boat. You’ll save more money in the end going that route.

5. Member
    Thanks guys. Will put it up on for sale sight in spring. Not upgrading. Getting out of fishing. Only took the Bullet out twice last year.

6. Member
    You might as well put it up for sale now. If it doesn't sell till spring then so be it. I'm sure it's easier to sell in the spring, but the right buyer may be looking now.

7. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Hey I just bought a new to me Phoenix 721. I wasn't really even looking for a boat at the time but it was exactly what I wanted so I jumped on it. So it can happen!
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

Quote Originally Posted by MichSkeeter77 View Post
    Hey I just bought a new to me Phoenix 721. I wasn't really even looking for a boat at the time but it was exactly what I wanted so I jumped on it. So it can happen!
    Nice! You'll love the bird.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX / 250 Mercury Pro XS 4 Stroke

9. Member
    I've been in the market for some time now and I can't understand why people in this state feel that their 15 year old piece is worth $5-8k over book. They do the same tactic with GM trucks, it's mind numbing. Needless to say, looks like I'm going out of state to buy mine. Good luck on your sale, if you're market value it will probably go quite quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Magik View Post
    I've been in the market for some time now and I can't understand why people in this state feel that their 15 year old piece is worth $5-8k over book. They do the same tactic with GM trucks, it's mind numbing. Needless to say, looks like I'm going out of state to buy mine. Good luck on your sale, if you're market value it will probably go quite quickly.
    Probably because they are garaged 1/2 of their life, and the condition stays well above average and price should be adjusted.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

11. Member
    ⬆️⬆️He said.

12. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Probably because they are garaged 1/2 of their life, and the condition stays well above average and price should be adjusted.
    A boat like anything else is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

sounds like you already listed it

14. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by dcl20x3 View Post
    Nice! You'll love the bird.
    Thanks! The wife and I are really excited

Funny that I came across this thread. I just bought a new Ranger last week. Moved it to my house this past Sunday and it was -2 degrees outside. Sure got some strange looks doing it. I wasn't in the market for a boat just got lucky on a good buy. Now I have to sell my other Ranger. I will wait till mid-March to list it. Not that I wouldn't sell it now, just aren't as many people looking to buy at the moment.

16. Member
    I don't know how you could sell a boat in this state in the winter with all the hard water.....How would you see it run and check to see if everything works???....I'm pretty trusting but not that trusting when it comes to such a big investment..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

17. Member
    If you’re using a site that’s free to list it, makes no sense why you wouldn’t list it now and stay firm on your price. You would be surprised how many people actually look for boats to buy in the winter.

If it’s a site like craigslist where your post drops as time goes by causing less people to view it, you can always delete it and repost it any time you want.

Quote Originally Posted by datbasstho View Post
    If you’re using a site that’s free to list it, makes no sense why you wouldn’t list it now and stay firm on your price. You would be surprised how many people actually look for boats to buy in the winter.

If it’s a site like craigslist where your post drops as time goes by causing less people to view it, you can always delete it and repost it any time you want.
    Yep, I looked all winter and bought in early March.
    Brad Luchsinger

2003 Allison XB-21 BasSport 2+2
    2004 Mercury Racing 250XS

1998 Xpress X70
    1998 Yamaha Vmax 150 TRP

2002 Triton 200XP

19. Member
    There are two distinct "best times" to sell a boat, based on its age and value. If you have a boat that's only a couple years old that still has factory warranty on the motor and other items that are fully transferable, then the best listing time is February to early March. Your target buyer is someone who needs a boat for the upcoming season and was planning on buying new, but they didn't start talking to dealers early enough and are now being quoted lead times of delivering a fully rigged boat by the end of May or June. So then guys start to panic and are willing to buy a couple year old boat for almost the same cost as a new one, and having a warranty on everything means on-water testing is not necessary.

For older boats, the best time is as soon as things melt and we get that first warm April weekend that finally convinces many of the boatless out there that they need to buy a boat, since all their friends come into work the following Monday talking about how great a time they had finally getting back on the water.

20. Member
    Well, I have my Bullet on for sale board. Going to be hard to see it go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast