Thread: 2000 cobra 201d

2000 cobra 201d

hey guys i have a 2000 cobra 201d with a 225 opti max and a 8 inch jack plate, i have a 25 tempest plus and a 25 trophy plus and am going to send one or the other to Mark to be blue printed which one do you guys think would be the better choice to have done. I have ran them both and they both run pretty good just looking for a little more. Thanks for the advise
    2000 Cobra 201d
    2000 opti 225

"if your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough"

2. Member
    I have the same but in 26. And a 225 EFI. Temp is better at top end by 1.7mph. Trophy is better at handling and holeshot. Plus works well on Erie. It’s a toss up but if you want speed have him work the Tempest. I did have a 25 Temp Mark worked but hit 6k rpm. It was a whole different beast compared to the stock 26. Good luck in choosing

3. Member
    What kind of speed are you seeing with the opti?
    Paul

sorry to hijack but since we're talking about performance, Longtail, what kind of speed are you seeing at WOT with the 201D and the 225 EFI with the 26 Tempest? thanks
    2000 VIPER COBRA 201D /225 Merc EFI SER: 0T054298
    Where does the white go when the snow melts?

5. Member
    69.8 GPS. At 5700 rpm. Can’t seem to squeeze an extra .2 out of her. That’s with light load half tank of gas. I’m also only 140 pounds. Usually mid 60’s fully loaded with two guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Longtail1 View Post
    69.8 GPS. At 5700 rpm. Can’t seem to squeeze an extra .2 out of her. That’s with light load half tank of gas. I’m also only 140 pounds. Usually mid 60’s fully loaded with two guys.
    with your 25 worked tempest at 6k rpm, you must have easily jumped over the 70mph mark?

7. Member
    Hookahog, I actually thought the same thing but i couldn’t get it passed 70 without hitting the rev limiter. It’s still the original stock motor. Any suggestions for improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Longtail1 View Post
    Hookahog, I actually thought the same thing but i couldn’t get it passed 70 without hitting the rev limiter. It’s still the original stock motor. Any suggestions for improvements.
    Hey Longtail, my 99 201 had a 12 inch plate on it and I ran a 25 trophy at about 3 inches below pad. With a 225 standard opti, I was seeing 68-69 consistently, but scans would indicate revs never went over the 5500 mark??? Never got that one, but anyway... Of course that was with a tournament load, half tank of fuel ,myself at 240 lbs and my partner at about 175 lbs. No real top end difference between a tempest and a trophy for me, but I prefer a trophy for the handling. It never got squirrely on me with the trophy, even when I dropped the XB on it and top end went up to about 73-74 with my partner and 78 with me alone, always with a 25 trophy. Never had a problem with chine walking either, these are great stable hulls. Unfortunately my 99 got smacked on the highway in September and was a total write-off....I wanted nothing other than another Cobra, so after a few months of searching, I finally found a real nice 2000, 201D with a 225 Merc EFI on it. 10 inch manual Z-Lock plate and 25 trophy. Had to go to Kentucky to get it, but it was well worth the trip. Now I just need to wait for spring, up here in winterland, to drop it in the water and start dialing it in. I think that the bigger jackplate is the trick to waking these boats up. I'm convinced that having the prop back in "cleaner", less turbulent water, helps reduce the effects of slip and allows the prop to bite a little more like it should. I believe that prop slip is the culprit responsible for increased rpm's, without necessarily seeing much in the way of increased speed. Just my opinion based on personal experience...I'm not an expert. Hope this helps. Cheers!

9. Member
    Thanks for the info. I only have a 8” jackplate. Have tossed the idea of getting a 10 or 12”. You are correct with how stable the ride is. No chine walk whatsoever. Love this boat.

10. Member
    i also have an 8 inch plate and have my trophy back and put on but its been way too cold and crapy here to test it. I ended up sending my 25 trophy to john at DAH and couldnt be happier with the quality i will post numbers soon as i gat a day i can run it
    2000 Cobra 201d
    2000 opti 225

"if your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough"