Post Any of you guys heard of a Clinton Outboard

Got a good friend found this engine and asking me if I knew much about it, which I don’t. Looks like it was built in 1957!!!! [IMG][/IMG]

Old lawnmower engine used by both Clinton and Eska. Noisey and they shake.

http://classic-engines.com/engines-2...engine-models/
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

3. Member
    What he said. Also, most had direct drive so you spun the engine around (why there is a handle on the back) to back up. I had (and have) a number of the air cooled engines of various makes. They are light for the size of engine which can be an advantage. Some had a ‘make shift’ water cooling system for the exhaust but the engines were air cooled.

4. Member
    Would it be of any value today maybe some one restoring it? I first though it was an old Chrysler engine.

5. Member
    Not so much. Most were 2 cycle, which people don't want, and have points, and adjustments that must be used, and are noisy. I sold a couple a year or so ago and got what, around $100 each? Because they are light and most have a drain and sealing system on the fuel system they can be a great second or back up engine. I stick a spare in the bow of my little boat that is a 1 hp and weighs 12 lbs. Had the thermostat fail on my main 1960's outboard and was quite glad I had it. I went modern now and bought a 1980's Johnson with electronic ignition for my main small outboard! WooHoo!
    They pop up on CL quite often. Not Clinton specifically, there were sold under a number of different names. Most were made by the same company though.
    That one looks like it is missing the top, which is also the gas tank. That would make it worth even less.

6. Banned
    Clinton was probably the #2 small engine company back in the 1950's. Our first one had a pull stop rope, and I though a new mower with retractible pull rope was really something.

I don't remember they having an outboard motor, but you obviously have one. I still have my grandfather's 2 hp Evinrude outboard motor dating back to 1935.

7. Member
    I believe the Flintstones had one and Mr Seahorse serviced it for them.

8. Member
    Rodney, the owner/moderator of www.fishingTN.com, T.K. Walker, is an antique outboard enthusiast and rebuilder. He can tell you what you want to know about this Clinton motor.

Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    I believe the Flintstones had one and Mr Seahorse serviced it for them.
    I worked on all of Fred's boats.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    I worked on all of Fred's boats.