2001 Champion trailer issue

Hey guys ! just got back from Lake Amistad. The weather was great and the fishing wasn't too bad either! 2nd day of fishing, after coming out of the water, my trailer wouldn't back up! We pulled forward, then backed up again with no luck. On this attempt, the drivers side trailer tire collapsed! WTF? On further inspection, found one of my caliper bolts came out and caused the other one to shear off which left the caliper to put a huge crack in my rim and took out my new Goodyear Endurance tire. Just a heads up for you guys to periodically check your stuff!

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Wow, sorry to hear that! I’m putting my spare in my truck bed now so I don’t forget this weekend! Hope you get it all fixed and back on the road safely.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

3. Member
    If I'm not mistaken, there are no locking devices such as a lock washer on caliper retaining bolts, and you are supposed to apply blue Loctite to the threads upon installation.

4. Member
    Yes! I believe you are correct! I didn't apply Loctite as you stated. I will be in the future, trust me!

5. Member
    Update on my disc brake issue I had. The calipers were originally installed on the rear of the trailer. Because one of my bolts had sheared off, it damaged the threads where it was installed. Decided to put the calipers on the front side of the trailer. Added flex lines that were not installed from the factory. New rotors and bearings as well. Saved me having to replace my axle. Had to switch calipers to make sure the bleeder was on the top of the caliper. Should be good to go for awhile!

6. Member
    What Champ model you pullin on the trailer?

7. Member
    Its a 196 Elite with a 200 Opti. Single axle trailer.

8. Member