trailer questions

I just bought a 2000 Champion 171. Just a couple of questions to get me started. The trailer appears to be a high-end product that is made with a single axle box beam construction and has what may/or may not be LED tail-lights that are fitted into place with what appear to be semi-trailer type lamps that are inside of oval rubber grommets. I, gong to have to do some troubleshooting on the lights as they are intermittent on the port side and aren't working on the starboard side.

Does anyone know the manufacturer of these lights or what their actual size is if replacement is needed; for that matter the manufacturer of the trailer itself?

Is this trailer the type that had problems with the springs and was/is there a recall of this trailer? (I found a couple of dead links on the forum to information regarding a recall).

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Can you find and read the manufacturer’s plate? It should be on the front of the trailer close to where the winch brace is welded on. Pics would definitely help.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    In 2000 the OEM trailer manufacturer was Dri Dock. Unfortunately, they were not known for rust resistance. They also had a recall on the trailers with single leaf springs. That said, it is very possible that the trailer has been replaced. As Casslaw indicated, there should be a data placard on the inside of the frame that should provide the VIN, mfg name and trailer model. A lot of the currently manufactured trailers use Optronics lighting.

Good luck!

The lights are a standard light made by many maufacturers. Truck Lite is one of the better ones. It sounds like you may have a ground problem. A good Multi-Meter will help you chase it down.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Sounds like a ground

6. Member
    Thanks for the info folks. I'm thinking it's likely a defective ground too. Any insight into the problems with this trailer if it's a Dry Dock brand? What do I need to be aware of and watch out for?