Thread: Talon problems

Talon problems

Last weekend I was out fishing till dark. When I tried to get boat on plane, it was struggling. Looked back and Talon had one light on. Tilted Talon back and the fiberglass rod was not retracted. There was no alarm for some reason. We tied talon down to deck till we got boat loaded. At this point it was raining, dark, and 35 degrees. We then were stuck trying to remove rod to travel home. With no luck, we unbolted entire unit and cut all the wires. The Talon is was still under warranty with previous owner till 2020. I am just wandering what my chances are of Minn Kota repairing it for free? I have not dealt with their customer service.

2. Member
    It's going to depend on when the serial number says the unit was made.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    Serial # S109MK00712

Minn Kota has some of the best warranty and customer service out there.

5. Member
    Thanks, thats good to know... I'm not sure I'm going to keep the Talon after this ordeal. It seems that 2 Talons are needed to make them worthwhile...

It seems like I remember reading this on the Minn Kota website...If you have a receipt with date of purchase then the warranty does not start until that date. If you do not have a receipt then the warranty date starts by manufacture date that is coded into the serial number. Electrical components carry a 3 year warranty and mechanical has a 5 year warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotsyhog View Post
    Thanks, thats good to know... I'm not sure I'm going to keep the Talon after this ordeal. It seems that 2 Talons are needed to make them worthwhile...
    If you learn their proper use and how to deploy down wind its very easy to ose just one.. I have a terrova with I pilot I set the TM on #1 and counter the direction of the Talon

8. Member
    Did you try to manually retract the talon with a ratchet?

9. Member
    I thought you don't have a warranty unless you are the original owner of them unlike power pole

10. Member
    The warranty is for the original purchaser and goes from date of purchase. However, the serial number can be used to determine the age of the unit and, if the serial number falls in the correct range, it can be repaired under warranty. You have 5yrs on the mechanical, 2yrs on the electrical, and lifetime on the spike.
    John
    BTW, your serial number shows a 2018 mfg date
    Last edited by Jonestrollingmotor; 12-20-2018 at 04:55 PM.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]