Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Motormate coming off motor

Guys I have a motormate motor toter that has worked pretty well the few times I have used it. However I just trailered my boat back from getting rebuilt and the motormate came off twice on the way home. Why would my motor be coming up like that?
    2006 Ranger Z20 Comanche

Ever have any issues with your trim unit? Also the manual relief screw at the bottom of the trim unit is it tight? If thats cracked it could not hold downward pressure and bounce up possibly.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

3. Member
    Grab the lower unit and see if you can lift the motor off the motor mate. If you can, inspect the trim system as suggested above but also the mounts. If the mounts are cracked/loose this could be a significant safety issue for you.

4. Member
    Im thinking water may have gotten into one of the trim switches up front and caused it to raise the motor a bit. I always keep it inside however it had to stay outside while being rebuilt.
    2006 Ranger Z20 Comanche

Quote Originally Posted by Bumrush View Post
    Im thinking water may have gotten into one of the trim switches up front and caused it to raise the motor a bit. I always keep it inside however it had to stay outside while being rebuilt.
    That could definitely be a culprit too. I had that issue with my boat one time also. Ended up being the bow trim switch.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

6. Member
    Yeah I think whenever I hit a bump it would trim up just enough to come off the toter. It's been drying now for a couple of days. If I had known I would have just turned my breaker off and that would have solved it. Is there anything I can do to those switches to prevent this from happening again? I mean I may have to fish in the rain one day.
    2006 Ranger Z20 Comanche

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I can’t honestly see water doing this to your switch unless it was submerged in water. Of course I could be wrong but I would trim it down as if you are about to go down the road and see if you can manually pick the skeg up at all to see if the mounts or hydraulic system has an issue as mentioned above.

Then let let it sit for 6 hours or so and do it again. My motor has developed an issue with the trim to where if I leave the motor level w the ground overnight it will slowly sink til it’s all the way down. I’m sure there’s trash in the valve or something I just need to look at it.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

8. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    It's possible that the trolling motor cable is hitting the trim switch at the bow, happened to me.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    It's possible that the trolling motor cable is hitting the trim switch at the bow, happened to me.
    Excellent post.

Also, a bow trim switch or any other except the motor switch can indeed get water inside it and eventually, trim on its own. Most motor switches are well sealed.

10. Member
    I have always installed battery cutoff switch's that when the boat is not on the water all of the batteries are disconnected and nothing on the boat is getting juice while going down the road or parked at home waiting on the next trip.
    That would eliminate the problem if the trim was electrically being activated by a bad switch.

With as sensitive as so many electronics are today I like even when charging the batteries that nothing is connected while they are charging.

11. Member
    Well my motor is bouncing up when I hit bumps. What would be causing that?
    2006 Ranger Z20 Comanche

12. Member
    Either your trim or your motor mounts are damaged. I’m guessing mounts. As suggested before install your motor mate then lift as hard as you can without injuring yourself and figure out which component has the slack in it. This isn’t a difficult diagnosis and it is important for your safety and the safety of passengers in your boat.
    Last edited by Jtreed99; 12-02-2018 at 06:10 PM.

If your motor bounces from bumps need to figure out whats going on. Its a safety concern all those components need to be tight and working properly. As said above lift on the motor and look for play.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumrush View Post
    Well my motor is bouncing up when I hit bumps. What would be causing that?
    Maybe it's air. Maybe it's the road. Sounds like you're a candidate for the old fashioned stick transom mount motor support for now. It may bounce up but it won't bounce down. Use a bungee cord to secure it to the L/U.

15. Member
    Well it's definitely trimming. Just don't know how to isolate which switch it is?
    2006 Ranger Z20 Comanche

16. Member
    The odds go with the one on the bow. Disconnect your battery when towing see if it happens. If you think it's the bow switch, take the center wire off tape over the end and try that.

17. Member
    The one at the bow is ruled out because the breaker cuts the power to it.
    2006 Ranger Z20 Comanche

18. Member
    If it bounces up AND down then I would say it’s not a switch but the trim components themselves. A bad switch would normally raise it up maybe but not down too, though I suppose that’s not impossible. I would check the trim system itself. I would raise the motor up and see if it slowly lowers itself over time. Also, have you tried lifting it yourself as recommended?
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

19. Member
    Lifted the motor by hand and it only has slight play maybe an inch or so.
    2006 Ranger Z20 Comanche

20. Member
    I don't own a Motormate. Once installed, all motor support systems require the down trim to be used to hold them in place. Not excessively, just a tad. Don't be insulted, but are you following the recommended procedure to lock yours down? One other thing, are the roads you use quite bumpy? A modern truck suspension will negate a lot of bad road but a trailer is still kind of basic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast