Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Yup pretty much. Ill be real interested to see what he can pull off recruiting wise. I have no idea who he plans on bringing in coaching wise or what ties he might have in areas for recruiting.

I still want to know what happened to Petrino. Did he just not have the coaches around him to make it work ? Did other coaches just finally catch up to him? He had it rolling here the first time around. Granted in a lesser conference than the ACC but it wasn't horrible. He did well if memory serves me while at Arkansas before letting his willy get him in trouble. Then had it rolling here the 2nd time around the first few years. Granted with Strongs previous players.

It just seemed to go down hill the last few years. One thing I did not like was the family being on staff especially the QB coach being his son I believe. Unless I'm mistaken he had no playing experience.
    Personally I think he was just done mentally and was tired of it. So he just stopped doing his job. He knew they would have to give him the buyout money as long as he didn't make any "mistakes" that would void the payout. He rode off into the sunset with 14mil (I think) and into retirement.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstep0 View Post
    Personally I think he was just done mentally and was tired of it. So he just stopped doing his job. He knew they would have to give him the buyout money as long as he didn't make any "mistakes" that would void the payout. He rode off into the sunset with 14mil (I think) and into retirement.
    Yours is as good of a theory as any other out there. Ive even gone as far as thinking maybe he was loyal to Jurich and once he was canned he mentally packed it up and said "well 14M here I come". I think what happens in his career coming up will be very telling.

This was bizarre to me as it wasn't a Denny Crum type downfall. Denny seemed to lose it in the later part of a very long career. Bobby seemed to lose it in the matter of like 2 seasons. And really you could maybe say lost it in 1 season.

3. Member
    I'm a UK fan. Very unfair to call Satterfield a whiff. App State is one of the best mid-major football programs in the country. He beat Michigan and almost beat Purdue. They just won the Sunbelt. I think it's a great hire for Louisville. They will just have to be patient on the recruiting side.

Brohm would have been A1, no doubt, but Satterfield is a great hire and nothing to sneeze at.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sokyangler View Post
    I'm a UK fan. Very unfair to call Satterfield a whiff. App State is one of the best mid-major football programs in the country. He beat Michigan and almost beat Purdue. They just won the Sunbelt. I think it's a great hire for Louisville. They will just have to be patient on the recruiting side.

Brohm would have been A1, no doubt, but Satterfield is a great hire and nothing to sneeze at.
    Satterfield wasn't in the fold when I wrote this post
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Yup pretty much. Ill be real interested to see what he can pull off recruiting wise. I have no idea who he plans on bringing in coaching wise or what ties he might have in areas for recruiting.

I still want to know what happened to Petrino. Did he just not have the coaches around him to make it work ? Did other coaches just finally catch up to him? He had it rolling here the first time around. Granted in a lesser conference than the ACC but it wasn't horrible. He did well if memory serves me while at Arkansas before letting his willy get him in trouble. Then had it rolling here the 2nd time around the first few years. Granted with Strongs previous players.

It just seemed to go down hill the last few years. One thing I did not like was the family being on staff especially the QB coach being his son I believe. Unless I'm mistaken he had no playing experience.
    The family being on staff wasn't a problem until they had a losing season, then it's an easy target. The family has been on staff for years. It wasn't a problem two years ago when they were one win away from the College Football Playoff.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Satterfield wasn't in the fold when I wrote this post
    Ahh, fair point. They definitely whiffed on Brohm.

7. Member
    The family being on staff wasn't a problem until they had a losing season, then it's an easy target. The family has been on staff for years. It wasn't a problem two years ago when they were one win away from the College Football Playoff.
    That's fair. Being a fan I never gave it a second thought back when they were rolling. Like any fan its win baby win!!!

That makes it even more intriguing to me. What the heck happened lol.

8. Member
    Ahh, fair point. They definitely whiffed on Brohm.
    I wouldn't say they "whiffed". He was making a little over 4M at Purdue and was offered 5M by Ville. Purdue counters with 6M I believe which puts him in the top 10 of highest paid coaches. I'm not sure I can see offering him 7M which would be up in the top 5 coaches. At a certain point you just gotta say its not gonna happen.

He played at a small college.

I hear rumblings that he is getting divorced and wants, needs a fresh start. I would not be supersized if he is coaching for Jurich again; sooner than later.

10. Member
    There was lots of changes in staff that was one of the problems he is supposedly a ***** to work for. The DC Grantham for example and his son being the quarterbacks coach was a joke.

11. Member
    Has Petrino ever stayed anywhere long enough to have a team of all his recruits? If I'm not mistaking this would have been the first time. Kragthorpe inherited a depleted roster after his first time at UofL. I'm excited about the new coach time will tell but everything I'm reading he's a players coach who cares about them on and off the field.

I'm glad they whiffed if he had a $6 mil price tag. Not worth that IMO.

13. bullyfish
    Get a life boys this is a fishing site if you guys want to talk college sports go somewhere else

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    I'm glad they whiffed if he had a $6 mil price tag. Not worth that IMO.
    I guess in hindsight ill agree. But ill admit I wanted him as it would have been cool being that the family played here. My guess is Tyra set a number and decided that was it.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BULLYFISH View Post
    Get a life boys this is a fishing site if you guys want to talk college sports go somewhere else

Ha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12