Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

xpress H51db setup

I have a 2004 xpress h51db with a 2003 mercury 90hp 2 stroke, 6 inch jackplate, 22p powertech prop, prop shaft is 5” below pad. The day I got it I ran 51 mph (gps) with one battery in the rear. I added two more batteries for trolling motor and now cannot get on pad anymore. New speed is 43 mph (gps). To get back on pad do I need to remove the batteries due to too much weight? Or distribute the weight somehow.

2. Banned
    Get rid of the weight. Or get more Hp.

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Or raise your motor 1/2” at a time. I’d guess your cav plate is underwater at wot now.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

4. Member
    I have a 24 vlt trolling motor. Would it be ok to just remove one battery and use two batteries for trolling and cranking?

5. Banned
    19p prop. Maybe 17? Post this in the Xpress boats board /forum. Better feed back on your setup.
    Welcome aboard
    Last edited by pa.X19; 11-28-2018 at 05:22 PM.

6. Member
    Have to agree with raising the motor a little at a time. Stepping down an inch or two on the prop pitch may also be needed.
    GETFISHED !!!

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    How much has your RPM at wot dropped?
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    How much has your RPM at wot dropped?
    Had to be strung out at 51 ?

Sold a 2003 H51 this spring. I used the crap out of it for ten years. It also had a 90 Merc and 6" jackplate. I had a 22 Laser 2 prop on it. Top speed with a light load by myself was around 50 gps. Loaded down and with my partner was around 44. I never had a problem getting on plane with three batteries in the back, full tank of gas and a full live well. I did have my spare SS prop and anchor shoved as far as they would go forward in my front compartment. I believe my ptp was 4".

10. Member
    The rpm didn’t drop too much. I’m still pushing 5500 at wot which is at the top of the recommended range. It gets on plane just fine it just doesn’t have that feeling like I’m riding on the pad anymore so it’s slowing me down. This motor has no trouble spinning a 22p prop at all. Just feel like the rear and is dragging more instead of hopping up on the pad. Was thinking maybe too unbalanced? Too much weight all in the back?

11. Member
    What is odd is that it went 51 with just me and one battery. Then I added two more batteries and now it goes 43. I can fill my livewell and have another person and it still goes 43. It’s like the weight distribution is what is killing me not the weight itself. Maybe I should try moving the batteries forward a little bit and see what happens.

12. Banned
    Props slip. Add weight? It's not gonna be the same.

13. Member
    Yea I know it’s going to slip some. I just seems like a huge loss in speed for a couple batteries. That’s almost a 20% loss in speed. Someone suggested maybe trying a 4 blade trophy. May get a little more stern lift to get it back on the pad again. Thank y’all for your input. I’ll give those tips a try.

Great boats. I bet you love it.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Xpress04 View Post
    Yea I know it’s going to slip some. I just seems like a huge loss in speed for a couple batteries. That’s almost a 20% loss in speed. Someone suggested maybe trying a 4 blade trophy. May get a little more stern lift to get it back on the pad again. Thank y’all for your input. I’ll give those tips a try.
    These boats are very weight sensitive. Especially when trying to eek every last mph out of them. Honestly I'm not surprised by that loss. 4 blade will carry the load better and you should get some back.
    Post this on the Xpress forum they can help point you in the right direction.
    Last edited by pa.X19; 11-28-2018 at 09:02 PM.

16. Member
    4 blade and try to move weight forward should help.

17. Member
    Put a 22p laser 2 on it. And turns out the tach was was way off. Now running 47 with a second person and full live well. Haven’t run it light yet so we will see.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Xpress04 View Post
    Put a 22p laser 2 on it. And turns out the tach was was way off. Now running 47 with a second person and full live well. Haven’t run it light yet so we will see.
    Looks like you got it dialed in

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Laser II 22" pitch is definitely the prop for your setup. I'd take out one of the three batteries just to see how much difference it makes and/or move some weight around. 47 mph is definitely decent with your rig but I also believe that you once could hit 51. I had a 90 Opti on a Triton V176Mag and routinely hit 51 in cool weather when I was fishing alone but adding another angler cost me 4 mph (I had three batteries).
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

20. Member
    Yea 51 was was by myself without tournament load. I’m sure I can get close to that now if I’m by myself running light. And I still haven’t got my prop to pad dialed in just right so it has a little more potential.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast